Opinion on alcove extension (with illustration)

Users who are viewing this thread

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I'm really frustrated at the lack of choice for a new bathtub for my 60" x 30" (stud-to-stud) alcove. There's just so many more options with a 32" tub. The only way I could use a 32" tub is if I put a 4"x4" floor to ceiling at one end of the alcove to extend the width (see Option 2 in illustration), but the bathroom is very small as it is and my wife and I have concerns about resale value and just general aesthetic appeal of having a random bit of wall jutting out.

Anyone have any opinion about this? It won't obstruct the door or anything, but just encroaches on an already tight space, and it will bring the tub surround much closer to the window (about a 2" drywall gap between the window frame and the surround).

2nd bath layout.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's on the other side of the door from the toilet? If it is something like a closet, had you considered replacing the door with a pocket door? What is the distance between the tub and the vanity? normally, they want at least 24".

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
What's on the other side of the door from the toilet? If it is something like a closet, had you considered replacing the door with a pocket door? What is the distance between the tub and the vanity? normally, they want at least 24".

The door opens into a hallway. A pocket door could be installed. I have considered that in the past as our house is under 1400 sq. ft. and every square foot is valuable. Just seems like whenever I start things like that, there's always some problem (conduit in the wall, etc.) that stretches the project out another month or two. But it really could be a good idea in this case.

The distance between the tub and vanity is about 30" -- the map is not exactly to scale. We're going to replace the vanity anyways and will either get the same width or narrower.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That layout is similar to my mothers hall bathroom done in the 60's
Her tub is in the same location.
You do have to go past the tub if it's going to finish off correctly.
Go ahead and add the wood.

glenwall_picture.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks