Opening up P-trap cleanout plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Broccoli_Rob

Reaction score
Hello!

I've got a question to which I'll hope has an easy solution. My bathroom's sink drains very slowly, so I tried to unclog it using a pipe snake and then Drano. However, neither of these worked so I searched around the web a bit and saw videos explaining how to remove and clear the p-trap under the sink.

I tried that earlier this evening, but unfortunately my p-trap doesn't have a nut to loosen on both ends... it only has one on the vertical end (which connects to the short pipe running from the sink). I did notice, however, that the trap appears to have a cleanout plug in the bottom. Unfortunately, the plug doesn't appear to have any way to "grab on" to it with my hands or pliers, so I cannot loosen it!

Does anyone know how to open up these cleanout plugs? (For reference, the p-trap in my sink looks quite a lot like this one: http://www.modernindustrial.com/pro...HmZJP24_9vAz6qHndGONLvtxKDKHZsw1gwaAgId8P8HAQ. Mine however is manufactured by Charlotte Pipe.

Thanks for your help!
- Rob

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Have you removed the stopper and checked it for hair yet?

I have never installed a p-trap with a drain on the bottom.
I normally use a tubular trap on lavs and sinks with slip joint connections.

Last edited:

Broccoli_Rob

Reaction score
Have you removed the stopper and checked it for hair yet?

I have never installed a p-trap with a drain on the bottom.
I normally use a tubular trap on lavs and sinks with slip joint connections.

Yep, I removed the stopper and checked for hair. There was some soap scum/gunk on it but the slow drain persisted after I cleaned it and reassembled the stopper.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That cleanout plug, MAY be beneficial if you can unscrew it. Doesn't it have a square opening in it for a 1/2" square ratchet wrench. If you cannot get it out, then you have a real problem because there is no way to snake it from the sink because the snake will get stuck in the cleanout unless the plug is all the way into the thread so there is no 'pocket" inside to get stuck in.

Broccoli_Rob

Reaction score
That cleanout plug, MAY be beneficial if you can unscrew it. Doesn't it have a square opening in it for a 1/2" square ratchet wrench. If you cannot get it out, then you have a real problem because there is no way to snake it from the sink because the snake will get stuck in the cleanout unless the plug is all the way into the thread so there is no 'pocket" inside to get stuck in.

I managed to get the cleanout plug off. Turns out I forgot that the clockwise/counterclockwise for loosening the cap was reversed when the nut is upside-down. Thanks for the advice.

Cecilia Buckner

Reaction score
Hello!

I've got a question to which I'll hope has an easy solution. My bathroom's sink drains very slowly, so I tried to unclog it using a pipe snake and then Drano. However, neither of these worked so I searched around the web a bit and saw videos explaining how to remove and clear the p-trap under the sink.

I tried that earlier this evening, but unfortunately my p-trap doesn't have a nut to loosen on both ends... it only has one on the vertical end (which connects to the short pipe running from the sink). I did notice, however, that the trap appears to have a cleanout plug in the bottom. Unfortunately, the plug doesn't appear to have any way to "grab on" to it with my hands or pliers, so I cannot loosen it!

Does anyone know how to open up these cleanout plugs? (For reference, the p-trap in my sink looks quite a lot like this one: http://www.modernindustrial.com/pro...HmZJP24_9vAz6qHndGONLvtxKDKHZsw1gwaAgId8P8HAQ. Mine however is manufactured by Charlotte Pipe.

Thanks for your help!
- Rob

I am having same issue you had. Clog in kitchen sink. No nuts on p-trap. I have what looks like it could be a clean out on the bottom. There's what feels similar to a head on a screw (a little nitch) on the backside of the p-trap. Really hard to get to and see and not even sure it's a clean out. How did you end up getting yours off. Here's what mine looks like. Picture looks like you can actually grab the plug (if that's what it is) but it feels like an indentation (like a screw head). The whole mechanism is of course very flush with the pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_2376.jpg
    IMG_2376.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,160

Reach4

Reaction score
There's what feels similar to a head on a screw (a little nitch) on the backside of the p-trap. Really hard to get to and see and not even sure it's a clean out.
Your picture is not clear, but I think you are zooming in on something that is not removable. I think it may be like a datecode for the mold, where they rotate an indicator maybe once per month/day/shift so they can tell when the part was made.

If you want to know how to clean your trap, post a wider and sharper picture.

Try to include the bottom of the sink and where the pipe goes into the wall in the same picture.

Cecilia Buckner

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Here's a better pic.
Your picture is not clear, but I think you are zooming in on something that is not removable. I think it may be like a datecode for the mold, where they rotate an indicator maybe once per month/day/shift so they can tell when the part was made.

If you want to know how to clean your trap, post a wider and sharper picture.

Try to include the bottom of the sink and where the pipe goes into the wall in the same picture.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,412

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cecilia,
The trap you have is the type normally used in concealed locations, not under a kitchen sink.
You can easily replace it with a slip on joint trap, the kind you can remove for the purpose of cleaning or unclogging the line.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would get a Electric Power Snake and run down though the Basket Strainer though the Drain with the water running
to clear Blockade

Cecilia Buckner

Reaction score
I would get a Electric Power Snake and run down though the Basket Strainer though the Drain with the water running
to clear Blockade
So, I have a homeowners warranty which includes plumbing and blockages. I've called them and am waiting for a call back to set the appointment. Do you think the use of an electric power snake is what I will need? Wonder if the warranty will cover that (it just says will clear blockages)?
Wonder if I am going to have issues with them approving clearing the clog because I don't have an accessible p-trap.

Cecilia Buckner

Reaction score
So, I have a homeowners warranty which includes plumbing and blockages. I've called them and am waiting for a call back to set the appointment. Do you think the use of an electric power snake is what I will need? Wonder if the warranty will cover that (it just says will clear blockages)?
Wonder if I am going to have issues with them approving clearing the clog because I don't have an accessible p-trap.
If the plumber breaks up the clog (which I think may possibly be egg shells from the disposal, now combined with baking soda that has hardened into a block (I tried to use this to no avail to clear the drain . . . ), could that baking soda form a solid block somewhere further dowm the line and cause issues?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any decent plumber is going to have a electric snake on his truck, when he snakes the drain it will clear any stoppages,
all the way to the main drain, you will still have to pay a deductible charge,I would not say anything about egg shells
or baking soda being in the drain as that is cause for the warranty company to say you caused the blockage

Cecilia Buckner

Reaction score
Any decent plumber is going to have a electric snake on his truck, when he snakes the drain it will clear any stoppages,
all the way to the main drain, you will still have to pay a deductible charge,I would not say anything about egg shells
or baking soda being in the drain as that is cause for the warranty company to say you caused the blockage
Thank you. Waiting on them to call me and schedule the appointment. I'll post an update soon.

Cecilia Buckner

Reaction score
Thank you. Waiting on them to call me and schedule the appointment. I'll post an update soon.
Home warranty company I have and their contractors are a joke. Had an appointment scheduled for Monday, they cancelled because their truck broke down. Rescheduled for today and took the day off of work mind you and they called and cancelled on me again. Warranty company wants to send someone out tomorrow. I'm off today. Waiting on hold to see if they can authorize an outside contractor to do the job, so I can find someone myself.....

Cecilia Buckner

Reaction score
Ended up getting my own contractor outside the warranty and will get reimbursed. Plumber contracted by the warranty company cancelled on me twice! Plumber had to saw the pipe to get to and clear the p-trap (because my p-trap was unaccessible) and then he added a connector. Yay! I have a kitchen sink again!

Attachments

• IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,822

brianethall

Reaction score
I’ve similar problem. I couldn’t get snake beyond certain point of p-trap. I do see cleanout plug but it barely moves. I’m trying to remove entire j(p) trap but no success so far. It’s tight as hell. Pipes seems old rusty. Any ideas welcome besides calling a plumber.

Attachments

• 9905F116-B824-44F1-9D7C-DF492B9622F0.jpeg
    9905F116-B824-44F1-9D7C-DF492B9622F0.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,257

avanti

Reaction score
Cecilia,
The trap you have is the type normally used in concealed locations, not under a kitchen sink.
You can easily replace it with a slip on joint trap, the kind you can remove for the purpose of cleaning or unclogging the line.
So grateful to have found this thread! Two things have fallen down the bathroom sink drain: the steel post from the drain-stopper (that rusted off and I've replaced) and an earring, but the p-trap looks glued shut, and it looks like there's a plug at the bottom of the p-trap curve but how can it be removed, please? Is this plumbing glued shut or can I twist it open somehow? Thank you very much for your help, in advance! Here are a few photos:

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 301

avanti

Reaction score
So grateful to have found this thread! Two things have fallen down the bathroom sink drain: the steel post from the drain-stopper (that rusted off and I've replaced) and an earring, but the p-trap looks glued shut, and it looks like there's a plug at the bottom of the p-trap curve but how can it be removed, please? Is this plumbing glued shut or can I twist it open somehow? Thank you very much for your help, in advance! Here are a few photos:
P.S. Here is a photo of the steel rod section that rusted off (and I replaced) from the drain-stopper, that's now caught in the p-trap along with an earring. Looking forward to expert advice out there on how to extract items from this p-trap (please see 5 photos above). Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 446

Reach4

Reaction score
You would rotate the right side of that cap toward you, and the left side away from you. That is CCW when viewed from below.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks