Open Spring Dog , Should I use? And Leather Packers in 2 inch ejector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dennis Sigala

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum, I have a deep well, 70 foot, and using a 1 HP Sta-Rite Jet pump MSSeries
It stopped holding prime so I hauled the 1 1/4 suction pipe out, However all that was attached was the cast iron
ejector, No foot valve? Also checking no built in foot valve, The Leather packing assembly was also missing
I just pulled the pipe straight out so it did not unscrew? total length of sucking pipe was 53 foot to casing adapter, I tried dropping a weight tied to a cord and it stopped at 53 foot, I was told by a well driller that the foot valve has to come out, So I poured some Muriatic acid in the well and let it sit overnight.
I then attached a rope to the 1 1/4 Jet Pipe and it continue to go past the 53 foot point that it had stopped before
I assume the leather packer assy and foot valve dropped below, I added another 10 foot section and lowered it down it continued to go down so the foot valve I assume is on the bottom, I live in Destin, Florida on the bay,
because of salinity
I was told that I should not use the leather packer for the seals and just use the neoprene seal which replaces the leather, its about 1 inch thick, I was told by a well guy that he hates using the Open Spring Dogs
as they can be a big problem to get out if you need to service. Should I not use this.
Last question can I leave the old foot valve, since it more than likely dropped to the bottom.
Note this well is just for sprinklers!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have pulled jets out that were missing the footvalve and leather assembly. It happens, albeit rarely. I have no knowledge of the spring dogs, I wasn't even aware that such a thing existed so I cannot comment either way.

I do know this: I have put the jet back in many wells that had stuck jets or broke off jets back in with no problem. The water will pass through the old jet/footvalve. The only downside is that you will not get quite as much water due to the restriction of passing through the old footvalve. In fact, one of my personal wells has a jet/fv/pipe stuck in it from when a tree fell and broke off the well head/pump.

Apparently you pushed down the old footvalve when you installed the jetline, it should push down easy. Just leave it there unless you want to pay to fish it out (not guaranteed).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks