Open front seat - purpose

Users who are viewing this thread

Perfectionist

Reaction score
What's the purpose of an open front seat?

1) It's for commercial toilets, and there most be a reason why?

I got the part that an elongated seat is better for adult men. ;-)

As for open front seats, Fiancé unfortunately has no idea. What I was able to find on the forum is that it may be related to toilet paper use by women. Is it the actual and main reason for commercial seats' front to be open?

2) Also, are there some people around who like their home toilet to have an open front seat?

3) Is it less comfortable than a normal (closed front) seat?

Thanks!

P.S. We're on the verge of buying our first *own* toilet, and it will be a Toto! We simply have to select the seat, now. Sigh. One last decision to be over with, hurrey! :)

Last edited:

Perfectionist

Reaction score
Answer on The Toilet Museum

I found this on The Toilet Museum Web site

The open front toilet seats afford the users more sanitary conditions and a greater sense of comfort than their residential closed-front cousins. The reason that the open front toilet seats are so widely used in the U.S. is due to section 409.2.2 of the Uniform Plumbing Code. The Uniform Plumbing Code is written and maintained by the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials. The code has been adapted into law, in whole or part, by most of the United States.

http://toiletmuseum.com/faq.html#Q6

I found some funny thoughts on this also:
http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/the_nonexpert/take_your_seat_please.php

And very graphic and down-to-earth answers here:
http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq82699toiletseats.html

- More sanitary because of the men peeing and women using TP? It seems so... ;-)
- Really more comfortable? Anyone with such a seat at home? Is it liked by both men and women?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Perfectionist

Reaction score
Toto seats attachments bolts & lateral movement

Thanks Terry, for that many boys, it really makes sense!

In the following post, Jadnashua has suggested to add a collar in order to reduce the seat lateral movement.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showpost.php?p=75460&postcount=4

The lateral movement made me wonder if we should buy a Toto commercial seat instead of a residential one, since their attachments bolts are different. I'm clutsy and sometimes fall on the throne, especially during the night. :eek: Not "of" the throne, though! ;-)

a) Has anyone tried to add a collar or another solution such as this one?

b) Is the lateral movement of the commercial seat the same as the residential seat's? Or one is more stable than the other one?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know if that would help, as Terry pointed out, it may just be in the hinge...It really hasn't been an issue for me and I don't know if the commercial one is any different.

Perfectionist

Reaction score
Open or not open... that is the question

Thanks Jadnashua!

Since we have to order our toilet a.s.a.p. and that we don't know yet which Toto seat is most stable, we're gonna pick it based on Fiancé's preferences:

1. Pictures seem to show that the Soft Close seat has a rounder outer edge than the Commercial seat, so Fiancé thinks it might be more comfortable

2. A closed seat will cover an unclean bowl upper side (where the seat is), when it occurs (ahem!)

3. Guests will be in a familiar setting

So this is it! We're buying our very first own toilet! And it will be a Toto! The Drake that is, since we have a 11.25 rough-in.

Thanks to all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks