Only soapy water leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maskaggs

Reaction score
First time poster here, completely clueless homeowner trying to avoid calling a plumber. I took apart our bathroom sink plumbing because it wasn't draining. The clog was below the stopper valve so I ended up taking off the tailpiece and the P trap. Everything is cleaned out and put back together, but there's still a slight problem. Soapy water leaks out of the joint between the tailpiece and the P trap. Soapy water only - pure water runs through without a problem. I've checked the gasket and it appears to be facing the right direction (tapering into the P trap). Do I simply need a new gasket or have I made another mistake? There also seems to be a slight drip between the top of the tailpiece and the drain pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tapered seal for the top of the p-trap may just need to be cleaned and snugged.
I normally snug the swivel slip joint nut first, and then the others.
The thread between the drain and the tail piece may need snugging too. Those threads can use tape or pipe dope.

Maskaggs

Reaction score
Well, after I posted I went upstairs and checked all the seals again. I don't know how to explain it but the tailpiece is an accordion; the way I had it before saw the P trap angled way off vertical. I forced some things around and got it much closer to vertical by moving the tailpiece farther up the drain pipe and putting a bit more angle in the accordion. No leaks for now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks