Ongoing Intermittent Boiler Over Pressure Issue

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by Fletch1, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Fletch1

Fletch1 New Member

Failure happened again on 08/11/14. It seems at several month intervals (aprox 6mo) the boiler pressure relief valve will open releasing water. The pressure gauge shows a abnormal pressure reading of 30lbs. The street boiler fill valve is closed so the only other place I know of that could allow street water into the boiler is a pinhole in the the coil of the 30 Gal indirect Bock water heater. Yet is seems very odd that a pinhole blocked with debris would be fine for 6 months and then dislodges the debris and leaks street water into the coil. This problem has been going on for 15 months or so.

Expansion tank is at aprox 13lbs. System is currently up and working at about 20lbs pressure. Every thing is dry and no leaks are found. I am about to swap the Bock out with a Superstor since the Bock is 20 years old and I can't think of anything else that would cause the issue.
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Sounds like you have the problem narrowed down and it's not all that rare.
  3. Fletch1

Fletch1 New Member

Still doing fine. I guess I'll have to wait another 6 mos or so for it to fail again.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Is your autofill or fill valve shutoff a ball valve or other? It wouldn't take much of a slow leak to build up enough volume to raise the pressure. It could also be as you think, in the indirect, but really, those are the only two possibilities that I know of.