One well 2 houses

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY123

Reaction score
I want to run a second house off one well . The second house is about 200 yards away from the 1st house, is this possible? What testing do I need to do on well to see if it will support a second house?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you don't own both houses, there are often disagreements that arise later. One may appear start using much more of the water, and the other party may not like having to pay 50% of any repairs. So a good contract is important. How do you get service? Who determines what? Is there an access problem?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I do not have an answer but I do know pushing water 600 feet can be a lot for a residential well motor. What is needed to be known with your existing system.
  1. Above ground well pump or a submersible, jet pump, etc.?
  2. HP and voltage
  3. Diameter of the of the inlet pipe if you have an above ground pump.
  4. Diameter of the well itself.
  5. Depth of the well point and the depth of the water table.
  6. Can the existing pressure tank handle the additional load, that is its the pressure tank pushing the water to the second house, not necessarily the pump. Obviously, before the pump it turned on by the pressure switch.
  7. The amount of rise from the well to the second house. All pumps have a rating chart on this. The higher it needs to lift, the GPH drops.
In Missouri I'm sure the ground freezes at times, therefore, the pipe would need to be buried below the frost line.
One way to go would be to tee of the existing well to a second pump (if you have an above ground pump) and pressure tank. The pressure tank would be at the second house but the new additional pump would be at the well. All possible if the well can provide the volume of water when both pumps are drawing water. A well company in your area would know best.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your well is low producing, it still might work if you could install a large storage tank. Any use would come from that tank, but then, over time, the well could slowly refill it. Think of it as your personal water reservoir, and if you can get it high enough, maybe a water tower (but that would take a pretty good hill!). Water pressure generated from gravity is about 0.43#/foot of elevation you can provide.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If there is no irrigation, 5 GPM is usually plenty for each house. If there is any irrigation, you size the pump for that, as the houses will be a smaller load. 600' distance is nothing as long as the pipe is large enough and it is not going uphill. With a 10 GPM flow rate and 600' of 1 1/4" poly pipe, you will only lose 4.6 PSI to friction loss. At 5 GPM flow 1" pipe is about the same loss.

Your water supply does not come from a pressure tank. Even a large 80 gallon size tank only holds about 20 gallons of water. 20 gallons won't go very far for a house that uses 300+ gallons per day, much less two houses, or irrigation demands. You have millions of gallons in the well, and that is where your water supply comes from. All a pressure tank is for is to limit the number of on/off cycles for the pump. No matter how large a pressure tank you have, the pump and well still have to be able to supply the water needed, or you will need a cistern type storage tank as jadnashua suggested.

Now that you have two houses on the pump the number of pump cycles will double. So you either need a larger pressure tank to reduce the cycles, or a Cycle Stop Valve to stop the cycling. With a CSV an 80 gallon tank is large enough for a city of 100,000 people, so a 10 gallon tank would be large enough for two houses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks