One water hammer arrestor, or 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

mattster1975

Reaction score
I have put on a sioux chief mini-rester on the hot water only for my LG washing machine.

We only get hammer on the hot water side, so I don't see why I need 2 arrestors, except for the fact that it still hammers really badly.

Is there any reason to put an arrestor on the well behaved cold water side? Should I put on 4 arrestors? (on one the washing machine and one at the supply valve?).

The LG is 5 years old, maybe I can just junk it and get a washing machine that is not so noisy ...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For an arrestor to work at it's best, it needs to be as close to the solenoid valve as possible. What it is trying to do is to provide a path for that rapidly moving column of water to go when the valve suddenly shuts off. The air cushion in the arrestor provides a means for the water column to slow down gracefully, rather than running into a 'wall' so to speak, where that impact can make some noise and possibly cause damage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks