Once Used Tuscan Leveling System

Users who are viewing this thread

DougB

Reaction score
I finished my master bath, and have no need for my Tuscan leveling system.

I have 200 of the red reusable caps, at least 150 straps, and the standard tool.

I'm asking $100 + shipping.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
If one of the pros doesn't chime in, I'll take it, Doug. Shipping to 89139? I won't start laying my next tile project for a few weeks. I'm still working on rough walls.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I would never use the Tuscan Levelling System. Not even if they gave it to me for free.

Setting tiles under pressure is never a good idea.

Not having 100% thin-set coverage on the perimeter of the tiles and corners a bad idea I think.

DougB

Reaction score
Not having 100% thin-set coverage on the perimeter of the tiles and corners a bad idea I think.

I evaluated the TLS system - it amounts to about 1/2 sq in per strap. With 13" tiles, back buttered, and Ardex X77 - I feel confident of the durability. The strap is really encapsulated in the thinset - so I don't consider it a 'void'. 13 x 13 is 169 sq/in, if I have four straps per tile, I'm only loosing 2 sq/in.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
The last bathroom I used LASH on part of it to help keep it flat. I'm not an expert tile setter, and want the best result I can achieve. It served its purpose, but I didn't like the effort it took to install the wedges laterally, and they occasionally produced small chips on the travertine's edges during installation. Granted, the LASH clips are a bit anchor shaped, the stone was 1/2" thick, and I was sure to install the wedges tight(which might have been too much at times). As far as time goes, it definitely slowed me down, but the time lost was worth the reassurance that things wouldn't move while the thinset cured.

The pure vertical force applied by the TLS seems superior to my uneducated mind. I anticipate it'll be quicker to use than LASH. I'm excited to try it on the 12" x 24" porcelain tiles going in my daughters bathroom.

Thanks, Doug. It's appreciated. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tuscan works well. Between that one and the MLS system, I think I like MLS better. But, the differences aren't huge. The MLS clips can be removed, you can take the strap off, clean up the thinset ooze, then put it back together. As I understand it, once you've got the TLS clip on, the only way to get it off is to break the strap, or take the tile back up (which may be really tough and sort of defeats the potential desire to remove it prematurely in the first place!). Maybe a small point. But, for the price on a on-time thing, either will work well, and that's a fair deal. Read the instructions and make sure you soak the TLS straps and don't position them too close to the edges as they say. More than one installer has said that on tile like the long, wood-look planks, either one can help take out a slight bow - kind of neat, and not possible with any other method I'm aware of no matter how skilled you are.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Can you share pictures of your work with the tuscan and the MLS Jim or Jadnashua?? when and how many times have you used these products???????????

certainly you have used them enough to educate us all on their performance, surely youve used them and then gone back to that jobsite a year later to check up on the actual in field performance?

Please clarify for the people reading your posts, as far as I can tell you do not nor have never worked in the tile trade? im confused trying to follow all your posts?

XOXO- Redshoe.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I evaluated the TLS system - it amounts to about 1/2 sq in per strap. With 13" tiles, back buttered, and Ardex X77 - I feel confident of the durability. The strap is really encapsulated in the thinset - so I don't consider it a 'void'. 13 x 13 is 169 sq/in, if I have four straps per tile, I'm only loosing 2 sq/in.

Doug I wouldnt lose any sleep . the beauty is its in your home and your bathroom. and you did all your due dilligence in educating yourself every step of the way.

If you tile well and have 90%+ mortar coverage my attitude towards the tuscan is that your grout if installed properly will fill any and all voids under the strap head. But I can also see Johns point in regards to how the industry says full coverage and with the strapheads in contact with the bottom and often time edge(A no no) of tile it could be a concern. time will tell.

Pretty soon we will have an industry of tile PROS that cant set a floor without a lippage system while staying within tolerances governed by the TCNA for lippage. another trade skill that takes years to learn replaced by chinese plastic tools. at 44 Im to old for the new world.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
RSCB. Any lashing system needs five years of field installations before it can apply for a TCNA specification. You heard it hear first..... There will be some grey areas with any new lashing system specification. The TCNA now needs to back peddle the 100% coverage and corner spec to something less strict. That is the only way the lashing systems will get a detail.

Truck in a fridge on a dolley.

Drop a tool box or drill in the wrong spot.

Hit the clip base and you are going to see some cracking I think.

When these types of failures show up we will surely see comments like "Installer Error" "Subfloor movement" .

"If the mortar is bonding to the tiles with the minimum 80 percent coverage with good coverage on the edges and corners and is within the thickness limitation specified by the manufacturer it will work fine and certainly have no effect upon the previously set tiles."

This a quote I read last week on a tile forum. What does it tell you? Tells me that the person answering one question is making sure not to sell against a lashing system on another discussion. Slight tweaks in verbiage. Now if some asked a question of a competitors system there would be exact quotes. The hurdle of researching facts online is knowing who is pushing what. Who is selling what. And what the real rules are.

I know at least RSCB and ROBERTO has TCNA spec books. I do. These omissions or tweaks of specs common of men selling specific systems. When Tuscan first came out it required a perfectly flat floor. Now they do not. For over a year people blasted them over that requirement. So they changed it.

Find one setting materials company that will allow a looser mix of thin-set.

Setting a tile under pressure is a bad thing.

Schluter's Ditra Heat is a classic newbie item. They have no five years of field trials here in North America. Yet call it an uncoupling system and piggy back on an older and different design.

Wait till we see cracks in grout joints. "Installer error" "Wrong thin-set" "Subfloor movement" yatta yatta yatta.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
Pretty soon we will have an industry of tile PROS that cant set a floor without a lippage system while staying within tolerances governed by the TCNA for lippage. another trade skill that takes years to learn replaced by chinese plastic tools. at 44 Im to old for the new world.

If I would have went the old world way (mudded the walls) I wouldn't have needed the Tuscan. The amount of labor would have probably been equal to f@#k'n around I did with the studs and cement board. I'm a good carpenter - and I couldn't make those studs come out flat enough for 13x13 tile.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you ever read the instructions, they tell you to put the clip about 2" from an edge (so you don't crack the corner off!). They also tell you to backbutter each tile prior to installation and that the floor should be flat (no different than any tile install per the TCNA standards). With the suction created once a tile is set in the properly combed mortar and the backbutter, tightening the clamps will pull a high tile down, but is unlikely to lift a low one up, helping to ensure that you've got good coverage all around the clip. This makes it very important to get that first tile perfect. So, if you do it according to the instruction, there should not be any thinset voids. Both Laticrete and Mapei have instructions and list suitable mortars for when using the TLS, and warrant the installation. Laticrete's has been in effect since 2010.

Used properly, they can speed up laying a large format tile and help to ensure the tile are all in a nice, flat alignment. Something a pro can typically do, but a DIY'er may or may not. ANd for either, it can speed up the process.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
can you say Private labeling?????? whos got the better price point??? green or blue???

Laticrete%2BBlue%2BMLT%2BCap.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks