On demand 12 volt houseboat pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Rickhise

Reaction score
Recently installed a household commode on our houseboat. question, our commode operates on a 12 volt on demand pump. the pump draws its water from a stand pipe. (Only services commode).

I want to hook into my dock supply line, so when on the dock I won't use the 12 volt on demand.
when we leave the dock. I can use the 12 volt on demand.

question: will. I need 2 in line check valves.

I'll have supply line to the commode same as your home would be.

I'll have a 12 volt on demand from a second source. ( lake water from a stand pipe). This pump also has an off on switch. At. The helm.

I'm thinking. I need check valve to keep my dock supply water from traveling to the pump, along with a check valve to keep. My pump water when it's on traveling toward dock supply,

Excuse. My poor an improper terms, tips. Or advice needed thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think those type pumps have built in check valves, which should be all you need. If not, then just add a check valve to the discharge of each pump.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
The simplest way to do what you want is to connect your supply line to the pump inlet and just turn the pump off....you don't need to do anything else. I have a travel trailer set up like this, with a washing machine hose on the supply size, that I just drop in the water tank when I want to use the pump, or connect it to a garden hose when I have one available.

Rickhise

Reaction score
The simplest way to do what you want is to connect your supply line to the pump inlet and just turn the pump off....you don't need to do anything else. I have a travel trailer set up like this, with a washing machine hose on the supply size, that I just drop in the water tank when I want to use the pump, or connect it to a garden hose when I have one available.

VA if you have a sec. some questions in my mind this would save me about 30$ in fittings your way, bare with me, so my supply line goes between the stand pipe I draw from and the pump, that's what I assume is the inlet side, but my supply line water is going to go back in the lake.....surely IM missing something.....

now if there was a check valve between the stand pipe an the inlet side of my water pump the supply line water would have to come through the pump....correct? I didn't realize I could take a supply line an make it go through the diaphragm pump etc if Im saying it correctly, thanks if u have time to explain it again

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I think I understand what you have....here is the way to do it: Put a male garden hose thread fitting directly on the pump inlet, put another male garden hose adapter on the standpipe that goes to the lake.....then get a washing machine hose (double garden hose female). Connect then hose to the pump and probably leave it hooked up forever...then when you want to draw from the lake hook it to the standpipe, when you're at the dock, hook it to a garden hose and turn the pump off. You don't need and splitters or check valves this way.

Rickhise

Reaction score
using garden hose

I think I understand what you have....here is the way to do it: Put a male garden hose thread fitting directly on the pump inlet, put another male garden hose adapter on the standpipe that goes to the lake.....then get a washing machine hose (double garden hose female). Connect then hose to the pump and probably leave it hooked up forever...then when you want to draw from the lake hook it to the standpipe, when you're at the dock, hook it to a garden hose and turn the pump off. You don't need and splitters or check valves this way.

Thanks for taking the time, Going to try and get it where there are no steps in connecting an disconnecting.
The Houseboat plumbing is all under the floor much like a crawl space in a home.
I was surprised an on demand could be hooked to supply line and hose hold water supply could travel through it when pump is turned off. thanks again

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
makes sense since it's not readily accessible...one other tidbit though; Those pumps have internal pressure switches and check valves and use no pressure tank, they really don't like extra check valves on the pressure side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks