Older water softner. No seperate brine tank all in one tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikholmes

Reaction score
Thanks in advance everyone but after several hours of research I have gotten no where. My water softener is just one tank under the house. no other tanks or hoses coming out of the Fleck 5600 Filter Only Backwash Control Valve. There is a large maybe 1-1/4 plug in the top of the tank. I need too know where to add the salt. Been paying someone for 12 years and I am very mechanical inclined but this had stumped me as to where to add it I did pull that plug after I but the valve in service and tank was full of water. Stuck a stick down in and went close to the bottom. Any help would be great. I have no name of model number as the guy servicing it took all that off. Had a plumber look at it today and he had no idea either. But he was a well pump type of plumber. Tnakks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds more like a neutralizer with a dome hole fill port.
If there is no 3/8 line off the 5600 control then and you say that it is a filter then there is NO Salt that I know of...
A photo would be of some help if possible.

Reach4

Reaction score
You would not have a Filter Only Backwash Control Valve on a water softener. A softener needs to draw brine and to send it through the resin.

If it is a softener, I would expect that you add the salt to where you inserted the stick.

Was your softener apparently working untli you stopped paying somebody to add salt?

Mikholmes

Reaction score
IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG
Hope this works for attaching a picture

Reach4

Reaction score
I think Akpsdvan nailed it with the neutralizer prediction.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the photos, it looks to be a neutralizer... not sure how salt would come into play but calcite or mag ox would be a mix that could be used.
The 5600 is at the limit of its rating.

Mikholmes

Reaction score
Well I just looked for a old bill but had none. I can see the salt where he would spill it on the ground. The dial also has Backwash, Brine Fill, In Service, regenerat and Brine Draw on it when you turn it. On the backwash you can here the water discharging in the waste pipe. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Reach4

Reaction score
I f you have pieces of the spilled material, maybe that could be identified. I don't know how to identify the candidates, but somebody probably could.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If you have enough spilled material, taste it --carefully -- to see if it is salt, but I doubt it is. If you could have your source water tested, those results might tell us what the original installation was intended to do, which would be a big hint to what it is. For a quicky test, get a pool pH tester -- a pool supply place might give you a couple of test strips gratis -- and see if your pH is below 7, indicating acidity.

My money is with Akpsdvan and Reach4; in that case your pH is probably around 6, and you've got an acid neutralizer, which probably used calcite as the media. I don't know what that tastes like :).

As for the control valve implying it's a softener, I'm guessing here -- I'm not a water treatment professional -- but I'll bet almost any control head could be used on such a filter, so it could be marked as if it were a softener head (brine draw, etc.), chlorine injector, or whatever the original installer had lying around.

If you do a Web search for "acid neutralizer filter" you can enjoy hours learning about them.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Calcite has no discernible flavor, it is like putting crushed rocks into your mouth, ( Since it is crushed marble...)
Salt will be obvious.
Since the media is all gone inside your tank, that would indicate it is a consumable media like calcite or corosex or a blend of both. These medias get "used up" during their process of neutralizing water that is below pH7. Considering the age of the equipment, I am going to highly recommend an updated water test be done and that the system be updated. FYI, it is not a softener, it is the opposite.

Mikholmes

Reaction score
Thanks everyone who responded. You guys hit the nail on the head. Its a Acid water neutralizer. Googled that and took about 1 minute to see it. Thanks you all for your help. Have a great day gentleman.

Bannerman

Reaction score
So, now that you know that it is not a softener but is an acid neutralizer, are you planning to place it back into service?

Since your stick went to the near bottom of the tank, it appears that there is no neutralizer media remaining. If planning to restore operation, what media(s) do you intend to install? While Calcite is most common, depending on the ph, some Corosex could also be needed.

As you initially thought it was a softener, do you also need a softener and if so, how large and what should the settings be?

As it appears you haven't done so in some time, obtain a thorough water analysis to establish the water's properties which will assist to identify the appropriate treatment currently required. Once you receive the test results, post them here to receive educated recommendations on appropriate treatment options for your specific water conditions.

Last edited:

Mikholmes

Reaction score
Thanks Bannerman. The unit has never been out of service. I have been paying $100.00 a year and it went up 3 years ago to $125.00. I have been here a few time and the techanician was never here more that 15 minutes. I would see him always bring a 2 quart cup with him with media I assume. Though I would take over the maintenance now that I have time. Did a PH test with one of thise store bought strips and the color was a great match for 6.0 to 6.2 ph.

Reach4

Reaction score
Though I would take over the maintenance now that I have time. Did a PH test with one of thise store bought strips and the color was a great match for 6.0 to 6.2 ph.
You might want to watch

Since you have the fill port, your job will be easier.

When you check pH, you want to test both your un-neutralized water and your neutralized water.

Note that you might want to have a softener after the neutralizer.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks