Older Moen Faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by xrionx, Jun 16, 2008.

1. xrionx

xrionx New Member

I live in an apartment, and my landlord is footing the bill for repairs, but I want to keep this as simple as possible.

So the problem I have is when I am in the shower I get the classic extreme hot to extreme cold due to the water pressure fluctuating in the building. The faucet is a Moen push/pull type. My question is can I change the cartridge to an anti-scald type, or does that require changing the entire fixture. I do not have rear access, so in order to change out the entire fixture that would require having to rip out the tile, not something I want to do in a rental unit.

Thank you for any help/advice, and let me know if I need to give more information.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You would either replace the entire valve, or use a balancer on the pipes leading to the faucet.

Either way, you would need some access.
    They do make remodel plates that help on this.

[​IMG]
    Moen part 1920

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. xrionx

xrionx New Member

So they don't make a replacement cartridge that will provide anti-scald? Too bad, i was hoping to make this a simple repair. Thank you though!
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If the valve is a Moentrol valve it may already have scald protection.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Moen

Rmove the trim plate and see if there is a large slotted cap/plug on the right side of the valve. Depending on what kind of building the apartment is in, it could be a Moentrol with a bad balancing spool.
  6. xrionx

xrionx New Member

Do you know of any sites that have a picture of what that might look like? Im the meantime I'll take a picture and post it and see what people think. Thanks again for your help.
  7. xrionx

xrionx New Member

Nevermind, I found pictures of what you are talking about. I will look at it when I get home tonight. If I do have a Moentrol are all the balancing spools the same? If not, how do I figure what model I have?
  8. rombo

rombo New Member

they are all the same
  9. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Easy to get also... Just call 1-800-BUY-MOEN and they will have it at your doorstep next day air for free.
  10. Next Day Air?

I call Moen all the time, I'm one of their "Certified Service Providers" and they don't "next day" anything for free. They'll ship U.S.Postal for free but anything faster has to be paid by the customer or contractor.
  11. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I guess the customers that I have had get their free parts all opted to pay extra to has instant gratification by having the next day air... I knew I should have charged them more... LOL