old toilet, new trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Portia

Reaction score
In the half bath of the master bedroom I have a toilet with a Universal Rundel bowl that has been flushing happily since the sixties. Recently I began to hear a strange trickling sound after a normal flush. A few days later, after two flushes, water rose upward in the toilet bowl and then went back out of the bowl and out on the floor between the toilet and the floor. Can someone explain what is happening and how to fix? There are no other plumbing issues anywhere in the house at present. We are on a sewer system.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The water going out between the toilet and the floor is due to a wax ring seal that has broken. Try pulling the toilet and replacing the wax ring. While it is pulled look up into the toilet trapway from the bottom and see if there is anything in it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water leaking from a compromised wax ring may not be noticed for awhile until you get a clog somewhere; otherwise, it may just flow down the drain without problems. There could be another symptom...sewer gas can leak out of the compromised seal. This might have recently occurred if you got aggressive with a plunger, too. Does the toilet rock at all? If it does, when you reset it with a new wax ring, make sure to shim it so it doesn't rock, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks