old style garage doors?

Users who are viewing this thread

ruseell01

Reaction score
Do they still make those garage doors that are one solid piece and flip up?

They don't roll directly up and on rails like most do nowadays. Does anybody know? What are they called?

I am not going to be installing any electric garage door opener.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I do not believe they make those anymore. I believe they are called Taylor garage doors. The way I've gotten them in the past is by picking them up out of the back of garage door places. They typically have a large pile of them sitting in the back. Some places if you call will tell you what they have.

Is it the pivot arm that has failed? If so all you need are new arms. Much easier to find intact. Just measure everything off to make sure you're taking the right ones.

Tom

Jeff1

Reaction score
About 20 years ago I had a company come out and make a 1 piece wood door. They built it onsite. I would expect some garage door companies still do this.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To me, going back to a flip up garage door would be like getting rid of your bathroom and putting in a toilet!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can get a door that looks like it flips up, but rolls up. This would allow you to eventually put an opener on it. With today's safety requirements, a flip up door is just considered too dangerous.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
doors

Tilt up doors were almost impossible to seal, could not be opened if a car was parked too close in the driveway, or after a heavy snow, and had lousy headroom. Why beat a dead horse. Get a roll up door and hardware. You don't need an electric motor for it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of course it's your money and your door, but why on earth would you not put in a remote operator? Those for residential doors are quite inexpensive.

ruseell01

Reaction score
About 20 years ago I had a company come out and make a 1 piece wood door. They built it onsite. I would expect some garage door companies still do this.

Would you recommend any company ?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I'm a Gen. Contr. in the bay area

We have thousands of them. Usually they get changed out to sectionals.
I have made new ones. All hardware is available here

Jeff1

Reaction score
I agree with HJ. Look for garage door companies in your area. I don't even remember who I used. That was a lifetime and one wife ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks