old style garage doors?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by ruseell01, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ruseell01

ruseell01 New Member

Do they still make those garage doors that are one solid piece and flip up?

They don't roll directly up and on rails like most do nowadays. Does anybody know? What are they called?

I am not going to be installing any electric garage door opener.
  2. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

I do not believe they make those anymore. I believe they are called Taylor garage doors. The way I've gotten them in the past is by picking them up out of the back of garage door places. They typically have a large pile of them sitting in the back. Some places if you call will tell you what they have.

Is it the pivot arm that has failed? If so all you need are new arms. Much easier to find intact. Just measure everything off to make sure you're taking the right ones.

Tom
  3. D.Smith

D.Smith New Member

4. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

About 20 years ago I had a company come out and make a 1 piece wood door. They built it onsite. I would expect some garage door companies still do this.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

To me, going back to a flip up garage door would be like getting rid of your bathroom and putting in a toilet!
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can get a door that looks like it flips up, but rolls up. This would allow you to eventually put an opener on it. With today's safety requirements, a flip up door is just considered too dangerous.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

doors

Tilt up doors were almost impossible to seal, could not be opened if a car was parked too close in the driveway, or after a heavy snow, and had lousy headroom. Why beat a dead horse. Get a roll up door and hardware. You don't need an electric motor for it.
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Of course it's your money and your door, but why on earth would you not put in a remote operator? Those for residential doors are quite inexpensive.
  9. ruseell01

ruseell01 New Member

Would you recommend any company ?
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

door

Do an Internet search for "tilt up garage doors" and then make a selection for a company in your area.
  11. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

I'm a Gen. Contr. in the bay area

We have thousands of them. Usually they get changed out to sectionals.
    I have made new ones. All hardware is available here
  12. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

I agree with HJ. Look for garage door companies in your area. I don't even remember who I used. That was a lifetime and one wife ago.