Old Soft Copper Water Supply Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Civrel

Reaction score
I am relocating my water pump and softener out of the elements from the back of my house to an adjacent shed. When my house was built 34 years ago, the plumber ran the soft copper pipe under the form boards, but still through the concrete footer. The soft copper was encased in poly pipe to protect it from the concrete. The pipe was bent vertical after emerging from under the footer and points straight up.

My current plans are to add a deck where the pump and softener slab was located, but the copper pipe sticks up higher than the deck surface. I really didn't want the copper (and PVC fittings that will make the new connection) sticking above the deck. My options would be to cut copper shorter, but I worry about being able to solder a new fitting on that old of a pipe or the best solution would e to bend the copper pipe horizontal, lowering it below the deck and burying the copper/pvc connection. Both of these solutions would end up with a buried solution. What are my chances of bending that old of a pipe without breaking it or cleaning it up enough to solder a new fitting on the end after I cut it off? I attached a photo of the pipe. Anyone have any other suggestions or advice? For clarification, the slab in the rear right of the photo is the one that the deck will be level with, not the slab to the left. Thanks!

IMG_0301.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. I would NEVER connect copper and PVC together and then bury it under a deck.
2. You SHOULD be able to rotate the copper sideways to get it below grade, but NOT "straighten" it out.
3. Depending on WHICH direction you are extending it, would determine HOW to connect the extension to the existing.

Civrel

Reaction score
HJ,

What is the best way to connect copper and PVC? I was going to use a 3/4" FPT x 1" slip adapter. I have the adapter with the stainless steel reinforcing band around the female threads.

The connection would be a right angle. I was going to add ell after the adapter. I am still not sure what type of deck that will be built. If wood, I will probably have enough room under the decking if I can bend the copper over a couple of inches. If a paverstone deck, I could add in a valve box for future access, but this would still require bending the pipe in the pipe over 30 to 40 degrees from vertical. The bend would be in line with the pipe as it emerges from the footer in its original coil bend. In both cases, under the wood deck and under the paverstone patio, the pipes could be exposed.

One thing I didn't think about is adding new copper to the end. and extending out beyond the limit of the deck. However, this would also involve bending the copper as described above.

How workable in terms of bending and soldering is 30+ year old copper pipe? Subjective question depending on the conditions it has endured over the years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks