Old School Radiators

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by litemine, Nov 26, 2007.

1. litemine

litemine New Member

I have tried to seal old hot water radiator sections and am not 100% successfull.
    For the wife I need/want to.
    I am asking what was the gasket used between sections?
    What was the original seal ?
    The................................ Threads or the flange?
    Has anyone tried O-Rings?

Thanks
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

I've had to dismantle a new steam boiler, to carry the individual sections down a winding staircase that wouldn't support the entire boiler, and the sections were sealed with something like putty.
  3. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Furnace/boiler cement.
    You'll also need a pressing tool, a bowl of wheaties and a back massager.
  4. Herk

Herk Plumber

I seem to remember a red lead paint and tapered nipples, and cranking them together with all-thread rods.
  5. litemine

litemine New Member

Sealling old Radiators

Yes thesen have tapered threads , nipples with keystock inside to give a grip
    on the nipple.
    Both a left and a right thread.
    turned one way and it draws the halfs together.
    Mine are not the type with ready rod.
    This is the theads I cannot seal/
    Lead paint/putty would be hard to get
    Rather use some safer product.
  6. zimmee66

zimmee66 New Member

Better place for you to get an answer

Hi Litemine--

If I were you I'd hop over to heatinghelp.com and ask your question on "the wall". Those guys are boiler and radiation maniacs, very technical and old school but also quite helpful and friendly--not a smart aleck among em. I've seen a fair amount of discussion of CI rad restoration and repair so check the archives too.
  7. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades