Old Moen Moenique shower/faucet combo nobody recognizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gail McGee

Reaction score
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1077 (2)b.jpg

Moen just told me this is called a Moenique.
This is an oddball Moen shower and "tub" fixture that even my always informed plumbing supply guys have never seen. House built in 1978. I don't want anyone touching it until I know more about it. Under the "shelf" where I have pliers, there is a spout. It is a push pull for on off. The spout is leaking so I have to replace the cartridge but need to get the trim off.
What is this fixture called? I have looked thru Moen site and all over web. If I had a schematic, it would help.
How do I get the plate off? I have removed the only screws I can find, but am reluctant to try to pry off trim until I know how it is attached.
There is a part over the hole that I have marked with red arrow. Do I take this off before the trim comes off? If so how? It obviously has to come off before I can get the sleeve off. If I pull on this part, the water comes on. Also, I stuck a small screwdriver into the center and was able to reduce the rate of the leak by turning.
Appreciate any info.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You pull that "round metal washer" off, (it is the temperature limiting stop"), pull the chrome "stop tube" off, then pull the retainer clip and "hopefully" pull the core out. But, if it has never been repaired, the core will be the #1200 brass one and will take some creativity to remove. I have about 5 different pullers for something like than and it often takes more than one to do it. There is a screw under the stop tub to remove that square plate around the faucet, if neceesary, but you can usually remove the stem without taking that plate off. The main trim and spout do NOT have to be removed, unless you have to change the pressure balancing spool, since this is a Moentrol pressure balanced valve. The "center hole" was a grease fitting that was activated with a small Allen wrench to lube the stem periodically. I have the schematic, but all the things you have to do are exactly the same as any other Moen tub faucet, so it would not help you.

Last edited:

RibbonRider

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there any hope to try to salvage the valve of this old fixture and use a trim kit to update the look? I don't have the money/time/energy to rip out tile and drywall for now... I have two of these old fixtures. One is a faucet/handle/soap dish combo in a tub-shower. The other is a handle/soap dish only in a stall shower. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

Gail McGee

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there any hope to try to salvage the valve of this old fixture and use a trim kit to update the look? I don't have the money/time/energy to rip out tile and drywall for now... I have two of these old fixtures. One is a faucet/handle/soap dish combo in a tub-shower. The other is a handle/soap dish only in a stall shower. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

moenique-mcgee.jpg

Gail McGee

Reaction score
I put a universal handle on that I got at Home depot. Do a search on Google for universal handle for tub and there are a couple of videos. I took the plate off and shined it up and it looks a lot better.

M. Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

M. Cooper

Reaction score
Gail, I also have a Moen control/soap dish combo that has a large hole in the dish. Did you find a suitable replacement for your shower stall? Thanks!

Allen Wall

Reaction score
M. Cooper. I have the exact same question as you Have the Moen Faucet with handle and soap dish but cannot find a replacement without tearing out the wall. Did you ever find a solution.?? Thanks, New Member. Allen Wall

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

96XJ

Reaction score
IMG_20171121_210512492.jpg
IMG_20171121_210544778_HDR.jpg

Figured I'd bring an old thread back to life since it helped me. I just swapped the cartridge out on my Moen Moenique to fix a low pressure issue. It used a #1200 cartridge.

IMG_20171121_210512492.jpg IMG_20171121_210544778_HDR.jpg

p100162

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope you don't mind me re-resurrecting this old thread, again But, so far it's been helpful knowing that the main trim and spout do NOT have to be removed...Thanks @hj!

FWIW, I have 2 old Moenique's like OP but mine are in stall showers, about chest high, not in tub/shower combos. I could never understand why the replacement trim model: 14292 had that huge tub spout but apparently, these were built for tub/shower units and IMHO, replacement trim 14292 is not a good replacement, for stall showers.

That said, what other replacement trim alternatives, might be available, for stall showers?

p100162

Reaction score
FWIW: Follow up from Moen:

"The 14292 Moenique Service Kit should not be used for a shower only installations. The kit can only be used with a shower/tub combination--there is not a cover to cap the tub spout area of the base plate. If your rough-in valve is “Standard”, then regular Moentrol shower only trim can be used with the existing valve; but, the 145058 conversion kit will be needed to allow for attaching a new base plate. The new base plate will be approximately 7” in diameter and hole patching will most likely be necessary.

Nancy Petty

Reaction score
https://www.moen.com/shared/docs/product-specifications/14292sp.pdf
Model: 14292

Moen sells a replacement for that trim.
Otherwise, if you just need the cartridge, it's a #1200 or a #1225
Pull the stop tube out, remove the retaining clip, and the cartridge can be pulled out. It may take some work.

I have the old moenique style tub faucet system. The diverter knob is letting water continue into the tub when pulled up for shower function.
I want to remove the diverter knob system and replace the parts. Can you assist. Thanks

Patrick Jones

Reaction score
I had the cartridge replaced but my current problem is the shower will not turn on when I pull up on the handle, I do not see a way to disassemble it to repair it. Since the soap dish is rotted out I am thinking of installing a 14292 kit. This kit says it is a push on style. Can you tell me if the original is also a push on style or is it threaded?

TKS

Will E

Reaction score
5229A3D2-F2AD-473F-89B4-BB9D6DB8AFD1.jpeg
I had the cartridge replaced but my current problem is the shower will not turn on when I pull up on the handle, I do not see a way to disassemble it to repair it. Since the soap dish is rotted out I am thinking of installing a 14292 kit. This kit says it is a push on style. Can you tell me if the original is also a push on style or is it threaded?

TKS

Im trying to remove the old moenique safely and also running into trouble. All the screws are removed, but appears to be held on by copper running to bath faucet. Not sure how to remove. I do have access from behind so I can show you the pipe. Any advice?

Dodger

Reaction score
That looks to the the 1200 or the 1225B cartridge. A standard handle from that era should work.
Can somebody help me figure out how to remove the diverter on this particular unit? The spout on the Moenique (exactly as pictured in the above post) I have, leaks a little when the shower is going. I would like to try and replace the rubber washer if that’s doable. I removed the chrome knob/button from the stem, but I can’t seem to figure out how to remove the diverter/stem to replace the washer. Feels like something else is holding it on as well. Any advice is helpful, Thanks-

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks