Old Meter Box Junction

Users who are viewing this thread

JRC3

Reaction score
Sort of a long read, so bear with me...

Last year I bought a forclosure to live in. It was built in 61 and had a detached garage built in the mid 80s. The electric comes in from behind the property and when they built the garage they ran new service line to the garage and installed a new meter and a 200 amp breaker box. From there, using the old above ground service line, they run it from a mast at the garage to the original mast on the house and left the original service meter box in place removing the meter. Basically the 100 amp breaker box inside the house is a sub panel.

So I finally moved in 2 months ago and I've noticed some lights dimming and whatnot. I remembered when I cleaned up the house breaker box and replaced all the 20 amp breakers with 15 amp, how loose most of the wire set screws were and it got me thinking I should check how tight the main breaker is, and also check every connection all the way to the house breaker inside the main box.

Sure enough one of the hots on the 100 amp main breaker inside the house wasn't even finger tight. I tightened both and checked the main breaker too. Then it was off to check the old meter box on the house and this is what I found when I opened it up. *see pics*

The county inspector made me ground all three masts and clean up a few things in both breaker boxes (mostly missing knockouts) and add another ground bus bar in the 100 amp so the box itself wasn't the only means of grounding the second neutral bus bar. The power company was also out to check things and they insulated all the above ground crimp connections. Anyways, neither of them checked the old meter box with the half-ass connection.

So what do I do to properly fix this? Do they make something to just install in the original slots? Something appropriate or something that works like an A/C service disconnect? I want to leave the old box up and don't want to install a new box and have it inspected. I also would prefer not to have to mess with the old wires too much because of their age. Eventually I will run new service underground but that is a few years down the road.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_2159[1].JPG
    IMG_2159[1].JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_2160[1].JPG
    IMG_2160[1].JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_2161[1].JPG
    IMG_2161[1].JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_2162[1].JPG
    IMG_2162[1].JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 516

JRC3

Reaction score
No matter what or how this gets fixed, there should be grease on those aluminum wires, right?

JRC3

Reaction score
I should've been more specific and short in my OP. Yes, the copper wire jumper is exactly what I want to make right.

I do plan to run bigger and new underground service when time and money allow it. For now I want to make a proper bypass of the old meter socket and ditch that cob job piece of wire.

FdIuHnL.png

Qry3M4U.jpg

JRC3

Reaction score
If you don't like those fuses or bypass links then gut the box and use a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/Morris-97017...qid=1478785157&sr=8-1&keywords=polaris+splice
I thought about doing something like that and just removing jaws/slots, I don't like the old steel lugs anyways. And it seems there is enough wire in the box to connect them directly together.

Thanks for the link.

The photo in the previous post was taken before I purchased the home. Look closely at the tamper seal on the box at the bottom. There was a new seal on it meaning the power company replaced it. Did they even look in the box before turning on the power? I know it may not have been their responsibility but why even replace a tamper seal on something that isn't theirs?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks