Old Kohler leak problem

Users who are viewing this thread

bleuquila

Reaction score
Hi all,
amateur plumbing alert!
My house which was built in the 50s but had a remodel in the 70s has an old Kohler single-handle shower. By digging around the internet I finally backed out that I've got a "Rite-temp" pressure balance faucet from 1973 or so. The problem I was up against is that the water doesn't shut off completely anymore, so I took everything apart and found a valve rebuild kit through some miracle (these ones) and swapped all the parts out, hoping the new washers would be the end of it. Alas, the water still doesn't turn off, and in fact it flows even more freely, almost at 1/4 pressure even with the handle cranked off. The valve itself is working fine in the sense that when you turn the shower on, it starts cold, mixes in the hot at the right time, and stops where the collars says to to prevent scalding, exactly as it was before I was messing around, but I have to turn off the valves in the access panel after a shower to get the water all the way off! What should my first step be to figure out why?

bleuquila

Reaction score
Well isn't that just my luck! Thanks for the answer. How do you get those buggers out? I didn't see any more obvious screws after I had all the pistons and cartridge and stem and all that nonsense out of it! I've taken the thing apart so many times now I think i could do it blindfolded at least

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks