Old Knob and tube removal

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by The old college try, Feb 21, 2008.

1. The old college try

The old college try Engineering Technician

So, I removed all of the old knob and tube from my attic and now I have several places where there is 3" of old wiring popping up from the ceiling where I cut the wires. I'm sure that there is no power coming to these wires now, but what do I do to give the next guy that comes along a level of comfort that they're dead, so they don't have to go through what I went through. Also, do I have to be worried about someone coming along and tying back into the old wires in the wall and restoring power to these wires? I'm thinking of just taping off all of the stubs and leaving them to rest under the insulation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Tape them off and push them back into the holes down in the wall. Seal up the holes with spray foam or some caulking.

Jason
  3. Bill Arden

Bill Arden Computer Programmer

And don't forget to gather up the pieces and sell them. ;)

Strangely... some antique collectors buy Knob and tube pieces.
  4. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

People will collect anything. Somebody wrote into an antique column a couple of days ago that they collect paper soap wrappers -- had some going back to 1914, I think.