Old Delta Tub/Shower Fixture (Circa 88-90) Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by RBerg, Apr 18, 2013.

1. RBerg

RBerg New Member

Greetings!

Long time lurker, first time poster and I wanted to run this through what I have come to know as my go-to forum for pluming questions.

I have a single valve Delta tub/shower fixture that is constantly running and I guess I just don't trust those I've spoken to already about the replacement cartridge they all feel "will have no problem". We purchased the home in '98 and was built around '88 - '90 and we have never replaced the fixture, enclosure or anything. On recommendation from several at Home Depot, I picked up the blue Delta cartridge (PN#RP19804) cartridge but have not done anything with it since it appears it's not correct for the image below.

I have no real ability to get into the wall unless I rip out the enclosure so I'm trying to see if I can get an ID from images taken at the fixture. Nothing has part numbers and the only thing I have go on is the Delta name and the U.S. Patent #3674048. No model, names or anything.

I believe it's of a 1600 series and the replacement is the Delta #RP1991 but wanted to make sure. As well the link below is to a thread on thisforum to whom I believe had the same from a visual aspect only.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?21278-Repair-leaking-Delta-shower-valve

Thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

~Richard

Attached Files:

2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

That is the correct cartridge. When removing the nut that holds the cartridge in don't force it. There are here copper tubes that will break if to much force is applied to the nut.

John
  3. RBerg

RBerg New Member

Thanks John for the confirmation but to be clear the cartridge I've listed, not the one the home improvement place said would work, is the right one. RP1991 correct?

Thanks again! :)
  4. johnjh2o1

The RP1991 is the correct cartridge. The other one is a balance pressure cartridge which you don't have.

John
  5. RBerg

RBerg New Member

Awesome and as I had expected.. My many thanks to you and this forum!

Cheers,
    ~Richard
  6. rwitgitw

rwitgitw New Member

How did you get the handle off?

I am having hard time just to get the handle off. It seems corroded pretty solid. Would appreciate it if you can give some tips.

Thanks

Ralph
  7. johnjh2o1

We carry replacement nuts on our trucks and use a dremel cutoff wheel and split the nut to remove it.
  8. rwitgitw

rwitgitw New Member

Hi John,

I was referring to the handle itself, before getting to the nuts and bolts. :) It seems stuck, even with the center screw removed.

WP_20140528_14_24_31_Pro.jpg
  9. johnjh2o1

10. rwitgitw

rwitgitw New Member

Nice. Thank you very much!
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That looks like a Delta 1602, which does NOT need a new rp1661 "cartridge", (they seldom "wear out), just the ordinary "seats and springs" used by most Delta faucets. BEfore using a handle puller, however, I would screw hardeend "hollow head" machine screw into the stem so the pin on the puller did not get stuck in the screw hole.
    Last edited: May 28, 2014