Old Delta Tub/Shower Fixture (Circa 88-90) Cartridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

RBerg

Reaction score
Greetings!

Long time lurker, first time poster and I wanted to run this through what I have come to know as my go-to forum for pluming questions.

I have a single valve Delta tub/shower fixture that is constantly running and I guess I just don't trust those I've spoken to already about the replacement cartridge they all feel "will have no problem". We purchased the home in '98 and was built around '88 - '90 and we have never replaced the fixture, enclosure or anything. On recommendation from several at Home Depot, I picked up the blue Delta cartridge (PN#RP19804) cartridge but have not done anything with it since it appears it's not correct for the image below.

I have no real ability to get into the wall unless I rip out the enclosure so I'm trying to see if I can get an ID from images taken at the fixture. Nothing has part numbers and the only thing I have go on is the Delta name and the U.S. Patent #3674048. No model, names or anything.

I believe it's of a 1600 series and the replacement is the Delta #RP1991 but wanted to make sure. As well the link below is to a thread on thisforum to whom I believe had the same from a visual aspect only.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?21278-Repair-leaking-Delta-shower-valve

Thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

~Richard

20130418_131727.jpg
20130418_131748.jpg
20130418_131755.jpg
20130418_131801.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is the correct cartridge. When removing the nut that holds the cartridge in don't force it. There are here copper tubes that will break if to much force is applied to the nut.

John

RBerg

Reaction score
Thanks John for the confirmation but to be clear the cartridge I've listed, not the one the home improvement place said would work, is the right one. RP1991 correct?

Thanks again! :)

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
Thanks John for the confirmation but to be clear the cartridge I've listed, not the one the home improvement place said would work, is the right one. RP1991 correct?

Thanks again! :)

The RP1991 is the correct cartridge. The other one is a balance pressure cartridge which you don't have.

John

rwitgitw

Reaction score
How did you get the handle off?

Awesome and as I had expected.. My many thanks to you and this forum!

Cheers,
~Richard

I am having hard time just to get the handle off. It seems corroded pretty solid. Would appreciate it if you can give some tips.

Thanks

Ralph

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
We carry replacement nuts on our trucks and use a dremel cutoff wheel and split the nut to remove it.

rwitgitw

Reaction score
We carry replacement nuts on our trucks and use a dremel cutoff wheel and split the nut to remove it.

Hi John,

I was referring to the handle itself, before getting to the nuts and bolts. :) It seems stuck, even with the center screw removed.

WP_20140528_14_24_31_Pro.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That looks like a Delta 1602, which does NOT need a new rp1661 "cartridge", (they seldom "wear out), just the ordinary "seats and springs" used by most Delta faucets. BEfore using a handle puller, however, I would screw hardeend "hollow head" machine screw into the stem so the pin on the puller did not get stuck in the screw hole.

Last edited:

John Montanti

Reaction score
John,

I found you about a month ago and it is time to ask you about the diverter for this same Delta US patent # 3674948
The plastic "Flapper' has broken off and the diverter no longer works at all

Do I replace the entire thing? Or just the flapper part.
there is some sort of Stainless pin like you would see in a float bowl on a carburetor

I would also like your advice on WHERE to Buy these parts as I will buy the new cartridge as well

because I am leaking drips.

Thanx, and Happy New year

John Montanti in S Florida!

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
John,

I found you about a month ago and it is time to ask you about the diverter for this same Delta US patent # 3674948
The plastic "Flapper' has broken off and the diverter no longer works at all

Do I replace the entire thing? Or just the flapper part.
there is some sort of Stainless pin like you would see in a float bowl on a carburetor

I would also like your advice on WHERE to Buy these parts as I will buy the new cartridge as well

because I am leaking drips.

Thanx, and Happy New year

John Montanti in S Florida!
Call Delta they will send you all the parts you need free of charge.

rj147000

Reaction score
Hi John,

I was referring to the handle itself, before getting to the nuts and bolts. :) It seems stuck, even with the center screw removed.

View attachment 24989
Hi, I have the same faucet. Did you manage to find out how to remove the handle ? I bought a puller today but am still unable to remove the handle. Any tips and suggestions you can provide will be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks