Old Delta stock at big box store

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
Well, maybe the Home Centers near you employ someone with a brain but most of the employees in the plumbing aisle of my local home centers are idiots. I wouldn't want them in the field, they're a hazard and the advice I hear them give sometimes makes my cringe. Luckily, I don't visit Cheapo Depot or Blowes very often, we don't buy our material there, but sometimes have no other choice for a quick tool or some hardware. I always breeze thru the plumbing aisles to see what's in stock, what the prices are, and listen to some of the dribble and jiberish spewing from the smockmen.

Valpohawkeye

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm clearly not cool enough to hang out with you "real" plumbers, even though I had to work just as hard to get my license as any of you. I will share this in leaving, though.

I will frequently find "real" tradesman intentionally putting fitting bins and other product in disarray. At first I thought they were just vandals or idiots or both. However, in talking with other plumbers and also management here, I've concluded that tradesmen don't like their trade "devalued" by people being able to make simple repairs themselves. They want customers to get fed up with trying to do it themselves so that they will, instead, call a service company to do it.

I'm finding that same elitist attitude here. It's kind of ironic to find plumbers whose sh!t doesn't stink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aisle men

Maybe the fact that they are hiring more qualified people, who probably cost more is the reason there are so few of them. Many times if there were a catastrophe in any area of the store, there would be few, if any, employees injured. And this is not with just HD in case you feel singled out. ANYONE who "misplaces" merchandise intentionally IS a vandal, regardless of his experience or credentials.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'm clearly not cool enough to hang out with you "real" plumbers, even though I had to work just as hard to get my license as any of you. I will share this in leaving, though.

I will frequently find "real" tradesman intentionally putting fitting bins and other product in disarray. At first I thought they were just vandals or idiots or both. However, in talking with other plumbers and also management here, I've concluded that tradesmen don't like their trade "devalued" by people being able to make simple repairs themselves. They want customers to get fed up with trying to do it themselves so that they will, instead, call a service company to do it.

I'm finding that same elitist attitude here. It's kind of ironic to find plumbers whose sh!t doesn't stink.

Oh hell I know mine stinks!

I misjudged "travel time" between chair and toilet and even though I made the last turn into the bathroom to the straightaway...

lost it. Couldn't get my shorts down quick enough and my slow-close toilet seat didn't swing up fast enough, it's real bad.

Gotta bring in shop vac and garden hose, disinfectant, some Renuzit! air fresheners and possibly some counseling after this is all over with.

The movement however was quite satisfying. I was impressed!

Anyway, I'm friends with a few of the licensed plumbers that work at HD. Only one that I'm aware of in my area would I trust for good logic, but he told me he's not allowed to talk code anymore.

Code being the recommendation of any product. I find this disturbing, but I see their point as "code" can be conveyed by personal interpretation in so many different variances.

But I'll agree that just because they brought in "licensed" individuals, there's no guarantee that this move indicative of professionalism, it just lessens the odds that bad advice is given, like it has been so known for.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Personally I do not go to the big box stores for plumbing supplies,but it is fun
to walk around in.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I work Saturdays and supply houses are non-existant in most of the state after 12 noon...
So yes I do end up in big box stores...

I cringe at the thought....

Anyway ValpoHawkeye...
Welcome to the forum and please do join us in helping people out...
Just put on your thick skin and you can be our Homey Cheapo whipping boy!

thwip1.gif

You'll find we just happen to be a bunch of guys that love plumbing.
At times the only thing we like better is being a ...

Ballbuster.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How do you do that?

quote: "99% of Being Smart...
Is Knowing What You're Dumb At"

That is like asking someone what they don't know. How do they know what they do not know, if they do not know it? You wouldn't know you were dumb at it until someone asked you a question about it, then you would feel stupid.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd say it's kinda like the Magnum Force line HJ...
"A good man always knows his limitations"

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
The HD near No. Minneapolis (fridley) also has a master plumber in the aisle.
The man has saved me some headaches and alot of time when having to deal with the homedumpster.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks