Old Delta spray diverter problem

Users who are viewing this thread

siffe

Reaction score
Hi. I have an older Delta single handle kitchen faucet which needs a spray diverter. In the past I was able to find them at home improvement stores, but now I cannot. The plumbing supply store and even Delta themselves say they make only one size. The ones that are available are all too big -the rubber tip will not fit into the hole - it's not even close.

What are my short-term options for blocking the hose outlet, which I had to take the spray head off of and is draining into the sink (it's not the original head and doesn't screw on very tightly so it was just getting blown off when the water was turned on) ? And for the long term?

tx,

Ed

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
delta

You have something going on and we are not getting the whole story. Delta only has one diverter, but are you sure it is really a Delta diverter and not a "knock off"? Did you get all the parts of the old diverter out of the faucet? Your spray head is not secured to the hose properly, or else it would not come off. The pressure is in the hose at all times when the faucet is turned on so all you have to do is put the head on correctly, and then use the faucet normally. You will even be able to use the spray, although some of the water will still come out of the spout when you do so.

siffe

Reaction score
I've tried both Delta and Danco. They are the same size. The old diverter is totally worn away, right down to being nothing but a pin. Does this give you a clue? Have I missed getting something out of the hole?

It is an old hose and the spray head died and the new spray head just don't fit it right - seems like there is not enough thread to keep it on tight. I suspect that whole business needs replacing.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
The rubber part doesn't go into the hole.
The small end of the diverter valve goes in.
Install it that way, and it will work.
You probably ought to replace the o-rings under the spout barrell while you're at it, and lube them with plumber's grease.
I have all Delta faucets in my 1977 home, and I just keep rebuilding them with the kits. Coincidentally, I just replaced the diverter valve in my kitchen faucet. Works fine. (Use Delta parts.)
Good luck!
Mike

siffe

Reaction score
DOH! It would appear that I have not removed the large end of the diverter from the hole. Another senior moment...

hj said:
Did you get all the parts of the old diverter out of the faucet?

cshaver

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks