Old Crane spout/ diverter problem

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by agabovich, May 27, 2007.

1. agabovich

agabovich New Member

I have an old crane bathtub spout that has a diverter that does not function properly. When pulled, the water does not come out of the shower. I was told that there is no replacement for it and the only way to replace it is to break the wall and replace all piping for shower.

I don't want to spend $400 to do this. Are there alternatives?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'm not familiar with that specific spout...

Normally, spouts are attached either screwed onto a fitting (often generic) or slid onto a bare pipe. One, you unscrew, the other you loosen a set screw and pull it off.

Unless the screw-in fitting is unique to the brand, there are available replacements.

If you have access to the back side of the tiled wall, say through a closet, or another room, you can probably replace the fitting, if required, to put a new spout on. If you can't get back there, then you may need to tear out some tile. If you are careful, you might be able ot add a decorative accent around the spout.