Old 4 bolt toilet with front flush exit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hiperco

Reaction score
The above toilet is located in my 1960's mobile home at camp. I realize a picture would help a lot, but I'm not at camp now :). I definitely have a problem, the vinyl floor is cracking and buckling around the floor around the toilet. Also the tank has cracks that have micro leaks. Definitely need to do something.

This toilet has 4 bolts and the waste exits first toward the front of the toilet. I think however that somehow it makes it toward the back of the toilet (where the flange might be), since thats where the problem is with the floor.

My question for the moment is, does this style of toilet sound familiar to anyone? Do you expect that I will find a "standard" flange when the toilet is pulled up?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That toilet will have a std flange. The center of the flange is were the rear set of bolts are. The toilet is called a reverse trap. They were very popular in there day manly because of there quiet flush.

John

Hiperco

Reaction score
Right you are (or were) sir!

Attached are some pictures of the animal, and some of the carnage discovered below it. Filled the weekend up with the repairs (new floor etc), at least it wasn't good beach weather :)

IMG_0784 (Medium).jpgIMG_0794 (Medium).jpgIMG_0795 (Medium).jpgIMG_0796 (Medium).jpgIMG_0797 (Medium).jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Right you are (or were) sir!

Attached are some pictures of the animal, and some of the carnage discovered below it. Filled the weekend up with the repairs (new floor etc), at least it wasn't good beach weather :)

Nice photos! I take it the replacement wasn't the same color?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE did not need the pictures, your description was accurate enough to tell what you had. Your toilet is a "washdown", not a reverse trap. They were the original design, but have been obsolete since the 40s. Because of their design, they are almost impossible to snake when they get plugged up.

Last edited:

Hiperco

Reaction score
WE did not need the pictures, your description was accurate enough to tell what you had.

Are you not happy I posted pictures, or just commenting on the fact that you can identify toilets from their description? :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you not happy I posted pictures, or just commenting on the fact that you can identify toilets from their description?
confused.png
?

He's just grumpy.

I LOVED the pictures!
He's grumpy but we love him; because he does have so much knowledge.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Just commenting, to let you know that if the pictures did not turn out, we could still have identified what you had, but you could have given us a picture of the inside back of the tank so we might try to identify the manufacturer. the tank looks like it could be a Richmond, before it became Rheem-Richmond.

Hiperco

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :) Any further archaeological data has unfortunately been lost in the dumpster...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks