Old 4 bolt toilet with front flush exit?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by hiperco, May 29, 2012.

1. hiperco

hiperco Member

The above toilet is located in my 1960's mobile home at camp. I realize a picture would help a lot, but I'm not at camp now :). I definitely have a problem, the vinyl floor is cracking and buckling around the floor around the toilet. Also the tank has cracks that have micro leaks. Definitely need to do something.

This toilet has 4 bolts and the waste exits first toward the front of the toilet. I think however that somehow it makes it toward the back of the toilet (where the flange might be), since thats where the problem is with the floor.

My question for the moment is, does this style of toilet sound familiar to anyone? Do you expect that I will find a "standard" flange when the toilet is pulled up?
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

That toilet will have a std flange. The center of the flange is were the rear set of bolts are. The toilet is called a reverse trap. They were very popular in there day manly because of there quiet flush.

John
  3. hiperco

hiperco Member

Right you are (or were) sir!

Attached are some pictures of the animal, and some of the carnage discovered below it. Filled the weekend up with the repairs (new floor etc), at least it wasn't good beach weather :)

IMG_0784 (Medium).jpg IMG_0794 (Medium).jpg IMG_0795 (Medium).jpg IMG_0796 (Medium).jpg IMG_0797 (Medium).jpg
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Nice photos! I take it the replacement wasn't the same color?
  5. hiperco

hiperco Member

Lol! It wasn't really pink-ish, although it looks it in the photos.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

WE did not need the pictures, your description was accurate enough to tell what you had. Your toilet is a "washdown", not a reverse trap. They were the original design, but have been obsolete since the 40s. Because of their design, they are almost impossible to snake when they get plugged up.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  7. hiperco

hiperco Member

Are you not happy I posted pictures, or just commenting on the fact that you can identify toilets from their description? :confused:
  8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

He's just grumpy.

I LOVED the pictures!
    He's grumpy but we love him; because he does have so much knowledge.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Just commenting, to let you know that if the pictures did not turn out, we could still have identified what you had, but you could have given us a picture of the inside back of the tank so we might try to identify the manufacturer. the tank looks like it could be a Richmond, before it became Rheem-Richmond.
  10. hiperco

hiperco Member

Thanks for the replies :) Any further archaeological data has unfortunately been lost in the dumpster...