Old 2" well advice needed

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Jerred18, May 27, 2012.

1. Jerred18

Jerred18 New Member

Okay, I have a 2" well casing with a single pipe dropped 70 ish feet with ejector and foot valve. I have pulled twice due to foot valve being clogged from the rust from the steel pipe. Going back with plastic!! I dropped a string with big nut attached, hit water at approx 32 feet. I would like to improve pressure and volume. Previously could only run one sprinkler head. Using 1 hp pump. Is there another setup I could use. Would a 1hp shallow well pump pull the water if I dropped pipe to 45 feet with just a foot valve attached. All suggestions will be appreciated, just looking for options to improve water flow.
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

If the footvalve is plugged with rust, the drop pipe is not to blame. Below the packer, only rusty casing can clog the footvalve.

The laws of physics prevent a shallow well pump from lifting water from that depth.
  3. Jerred18

Jerred18 New Member

The rusty gunk was between the ejector and foot valve. So I should just replace both and use PVC pipe? Can you explain how the ejector seals to the casing? I am assuming that you can feel when it sets to the casing? The ejector was completely clogged as well.
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

The leathers on the packer seal against the casing. There is nothing to "feel".

I doubt you can DIY replace the casing with PVC. If you get a driller in to do it, put in a larger casing so that you can use a submersible.
  5. Jerred18

Jerred18 New Member

Oh no I would not try that. I am talking about the 1" line. It was old black steel, I want to back with PVC. But mentioning a larger casing, does it make it any easier or cheaper since the 2" is already there?