Ok to use heel inlet 90 degree el

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by johnny92626, Oct 11, 2008.

1. johnny92626

johnny92626 New Member

Hello,
    I have a remodel going on. I have a shower that I need to vent and drain. I also have a toilet on the other side of the wall. can I use a 4"*4"*2" heel inlet going to the toilet (with the 2" part in the vertical position), as the shower drain as well( then I would continue with a 2" vent to the roof)?

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

yes you can
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ell

That is either going to make the closet bend very low or the shower connection very high. A diagram of what you are doing might reveal a better way.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

The fitting to use is a side inlet 90, that gets things at the right level.
  5. hj

fitting

Bit that then negates the possibility of continuing the line vertically for the vent. A side inlet sanitary tee might be the fitting of choice with a bushing in the top for the 2" vent.
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

I usually put the side inlet t under the toilet, sweep back to the wet wall, hit a san tee, vent up and drop down. The fitting you are talking about we used to call an estabrook. Very handy thing to have on the truck. Won't use one every day but when you need it, you need it.
  7. hj

tee

We called it a cottage tee, out here they call it a Wisconsin fitting, but I am confused how, or why, you would put it under the toilet then run back to a sanitary tee, instead of using it in place of the sanitary tee, which is where we use them and may use more than one in any given building.
  8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Because I can dump the tub into it and wet vent the whole mess.
  9. hj

tee

But if I read your posting correctly, you are putting the tee on its back under the toilet then piping to a sanitary tee at the wall, right? If so how do you get ANY inspector to approve it?