OK to up the pressure?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by BluesMan, Dec 14, 2008.

1. BluesMan

BluesMan New Member

My pressure sw. is currently set to 35/55 and I have 33 psi in the pressure tank when empty. Any reason I cant up this to 40/60 to get a bit more pressure to the 2nd floor showers?

Thanks
  2. BluesMan

BluesMan New Member

Hey Andy...thanks for the help. I do know how to adjust the pressure switch and adjust the tank pressure too. I was just wondering if there would be any ill effects by upping the pressure...like the pump cycling more, etc....?

I have a 3/4" feed from the tank to a PEX manabloc system. No water treatment yet....hoping to put a softener in sometime after the holidays.

Thanks
  3. W.O.P Jeff

W.O.P Jeff Junior Member

Upping it 5psi should not have any effect if it runs fine currently.

What type of pump do you have? HP?
  4. BluesMan

BluesMan New Member

Thanks W.O.P.....it's a submersible pump, but I am unsure of the HP. I should call the driller and ask them what they installed.

The pump seems to be cycling fine now.

Any reason why they would set the pressure switch to 35/55 instead of 40/60?
  5. W.O.P Jeff

W.O.P Jeff Junior Member

Submersibles you can build up to way passed 60.
    40-60 is standard though.

Jet pumps on the other hand... They will not build up passed certain PSI's depending on the use.

If you have a control box on the wall it should tell you the Volts, HP, sometimes your GPM depending on who's control box it is.

Even your standard 10GPM 1/2hp will do it though.

Edit: Don't go much passed 60 though as I am sure you have a pressure relief valve on your system
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  6. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Yes increasing the pressure settings causes the pump to cycle more frequently because you will use more water.

Maybe there is a cause for low flow on the second floor.