ok to stack 2 santees?

Users who are viewing this thread

alwaysoverthinking

Reaction score
I'm in the process of remodeling a basement utility area, will remove most of the galvanized DWV & supply lines, replacing with ABS and copper.
I already replaced the upstair kitchen plumbing, and inserted two plugged sanitary tees on top of each other to run 2" ABS to a new utility sink and clothes washer at a later time. Its now the later time. I've read many threads about the requirements of pipe size, venting & distance for utility sinks & clothes washers. Specifically, I'm wondering if stacking the two santees on the lower left portion of the photos is correct, or if I need to replace one or both with a long-turn Y? Wondering if the washer waste will back up into the utility sink? Would it be better to run the utility sink into the washer pipe? I have to move the present location of the utility sink & washer waste because its only 1-1/2" pipe going into a concrete slab. Thanks!

Attachments

• plumbing1.jpg
    plumbing1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,975
  • plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,930

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tees

Well, I would have made the top one a 2 x 1 1/2 a street tee at the height for the sink drain, and inserted that into a 2" one right below it and then armed that over with the trap on the end of it, so I did not have to mess around with the Mickey Mouse venting you have to do with your layout.

alwaysoverthinking

Reaction score
not getting the second part

Thank you very much for responding. I get the first part of your advice. Not clear about "armed that over with the trap on the end of it". I can change everything at this time because its just a drawing. Appreciate any further advice on how I can save some effort on the venting.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Well, I would have made the top one a 2 x 1 1/2 a street tee at the height for the sink drain, and inserted that into a 2" one right below it and then armed that over with the trap on the end of it, so I did not have to mess around with the Mickey Mouse venting you have to do with your layout.

Is that wet vent for the utility sink allowed?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The sink will not be wet vented, the washer will be, but since it is the lower tee there is no problem. Arm over to the trap, means run a pipe from the tee to the "P" trap, WITHOUT that extra vent which you would not need doing it that way, nor would you need one for the sink.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'd secure some of that wiring while you are at it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the city of Seattle, they don't allow wet venting the laundry tray over the washer.
That may fly in Arizona, but not Seattle.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wet vent

We don't do it the other way because that would send a high flow past the laundry connection, but the sink does not have anywhere near that flow. In fact, in one case, I put the sink into the riser , the washer below it facing to the right, and a bar sink tee above them facing to the left.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
So a kitchen sink waste above a utility sink above laundry and the utility doesn't need to be vented seperately...

alwaysoverthinking

Reaction score
??

The island sink upstairs has an one of those AAV's I think they're called installed. Before moving the sink to its present location, it was on an exterior wall and vented similarly to what you see in the attached picture.
I'm still quite confused about what the consensus is on how to deal with this correctly.
Wiring comment: Someone did some serious "handyman" work to our 1959-built home probably in the 70's, and I was floored when I saw the dryer cable spliced and wrapped with electrical tape when I opened up the wall, along with all those unbraced wires in the soffit. I will clean it up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Niw you are stretching it.

quote; So a kitchen sink waste above a utility sink above laundry and the utility doesn't need to be vented seperately...

That is not what anyone said. It depends on WHERE the sink is located and how it ties into the drain. if the sink is on the upper level and the utility and washer are in the basement, then everything has to be done differently.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just pull your plumbing permit, and the inspector will help you with what is code in Seattle.

hj plumbs in Arizona and Cass in Ohio

In Seattle we go by the UPC code, and from what I've noticed, it's a bit different then other States.
It depends on whether you plan on inspecting the job "here".

Or, don't get a permit, and what did you say the last guy did?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I had to go back and get another look at the picture. FORGET everything previously said. Since that is a drain from the upstairs sink you DO have to revent the new drains, although I would install them differently in that case. BUT, an AAV on the washer and sink will be a bad idea, since they have to deal with positive pressure as much as negative pressure, which is the only thing an AAV can handle.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can plug the top T and run the waste from the utility sink strait down to a Y on the washer waste line then run the vent strait up and do the washer drain just like you have it...if all that piping is going to be exposed then you only need the vent to go to the washer and T off that line to vent the utility sink so you don't need a 4 way

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks