Ok to put slight bend in 1/2" hard copper pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Spaceball1, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Spaceball1

Spaceball1 New Member

I'm installing a new 1/2" hard copper (blue) line from my utility room to supply water to my fridge.

Since I'm new at soldering copper, I wanted to figure out a route that would minimize soldered joints inside walls & ceilings. I found a solution that puts a single 45 degree soldered joint that will be accessible in the future (near a bathroom vent/light)

Here's the thing.. I'm not expecting the 45 degree angle to put me exactly in the location where I'm tapping in to the main supply line. I think it will be close - like 3"-6" - but not exact. So would it be ok for me to gently bend a 4-ish foot length of pipe by enough to make this work?

I know that you aren't supposed to bend hard copper to make tight corners, but the radius I'm looking at is probably like 40' or more. More of a 'curve' than a 'bend'..

EDIT: Just to clarify, this new line is from the supply (downstream of water softener) to a new recessed box w/valve in the wall behind the fridge. This is NOT the line from the wall to the fridge.

Here's a quick sketch to show what I'm talking about..

bend.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If you solder an elbow to the pipe you want to bend pointed down, then solder a street elbow into in the line you want, you will not have to bend a pipe. I'd solder the street elbow onto the pipe going to the main supply first. This will make it easier to get the correct line before finalizing the elbow/street elbow connection.
  3. Spaceball1

Spaceball1 New Member

As it turns out, I was able to find a better route with no 45's or bends.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Glad you solved your problem. My solution is usually referred to as a "swing pipe". Very useful when working with PVC irrigation lines.