Ok to connect two SS flex supply lines?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by moose186, Nov 18, 2010.

1. moose186

moose186 New Member

Is it safe/ok to make a 24" length of flex braided supply line using two 12" lines with a brass coupling? My supply valve is 22" from the faucet.

Also, my tailpipe in the bath sink has rubber gaskets above and below the drain...should I be using plumbers putty too or is the rubber enough?

Thx in advance!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can connect two braided supplies using the brass nipple.

The lav drain uses the rubber gaskets. You can't use both putty and gaskets.
    On the veritical threads, some plumbers will use either putty or pipe dope. That's the part that slides through the lower gasket, large washer and nut.
  3. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

They make braided extentions for this with a 3/8" female x 3/8" male but either way will work.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Either use the 3/8 x 3/8 male/female (the male end usually has a "coupling" on it for attaching to a copper line. If so, discard it), or a 3/8x3/8 female/female with a 3/8" compression coupling between them. It makes a neater installation.
  5. moose186

moose186 New Member

thanks everyone for the great help...

after 3 months of weekend work and some weeknights, the bathroom is done and working and no leaks and life is calm again.