Ok, my new Toto is installed but how do I test to be sure it's seated correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nyle

Reaction score
Ok, so I did a lot of reading and think that I did everything correctly. Unfortunately, I missed the many posts on here not to use the reinforced wax rings. So of course I used a Gunk - Kant-leak urethane reinforced kit.

The toilet doesn't appear to leak and I flushed it multiple times without any caulk around the base. The toilet does not rock. The floor is solid and I did my best to line everything up before pushing down to seat the toilet and then tightened the bolts.

So, is there any way to test for problems? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nyle

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not that a wax ring with the horn can't work, it's just that it can create problems. Lots of them are installed and work fine. But, they cost a little more and create problems more than just the simple wax ring, so if yours is working, not clogging or leaking, leave it alone. the problem comes if the flange is high, or the opening is narrow - the horn can then distort and almost literally close the outlet off. If the flange is too high, you might squeeze all of the wax out and just have the plastic, which can leave a path to leak.

Nyle

Reaction score
Thank you. Is time the only thing that will tell me if everything is ok? In other words, use the toilet and if it doesn't clog all the time or leak, it's good to go?

Maybe someday, they'll improve upon this basic design. 8^)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That's about it, but as far as "they'll improve upon this basic design", the one you used was an "improvement", the problem is that it was created to fix a problem that did not exist.

Nyle

Reaction score
That's about it, but as far as "they'll improve upon this basic design", the one you used was an "improvement", the problem is that it was created to fix a problem that did not exist.

Thanks hj,

I was more thinking that perhaps someday, they'd design a toilet with a standard connector that mated with the drain in such a way as to be fool proof. Perhaps, some kind of twist lock solution. Something that is more of an exact science than trying to hold a heavy porcelain fixture, with a beeswax ring on the bottom, over a hole, with two bolts balanced in a little metal track, all while tying to line those bolts up with little holes in the porcelain fixture. :D

I don't know, it just seems like it's the year 2010 - there has to be a better way. ;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A plumber would set the wax on the floor.

Have you ever seen a wax drop off before.
We see it from handymen and homeowners. Pull the bowl and see the wax covering the hole, sweet!

Put the wax on the floor, and drop the bowl down on it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also, invest another dime or so and buy two additional nuts and washers for the flange bolts. Insert the bolts in the flange in the normal way, then slip a washer over each and screw the nuts down. This will hold the flange bolts perfectly straight so that setting the toilet into position is really simple and easy. I prefer stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers. The common brass are too weak IMHO.

Nyle

Reaction score
A plumber would set the wax on the floor.

Have you ever seen a wax drop off before.
We see it from handymen and homeowners. Pull the bowl and see the wax covering the hole, sweet!

Put the wax on the floor, and drop the bowl down on it.

Thanks Terry, I'll do that the next time. I was following the Toto instructions. Perhaps, someone can get a message to them to change them around. It makes a lot more sense to me. You'd get perfect alignment of the wax and the bolts would align the toilet.

That's so simple, why is it that in the instructions and on most online videos they have you fit the wax around the horn?

Nyle

Reaction score
Another good idea but that speaks to what I'm saying about the poor design of the flange closet bolt setup to begin with. There is a million dollar idea just sitting there waiting for a clever plumber to patent it. ;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Packaging for most products is written by writers and graphic artists.
I don't think they value what we actually do.
I've found that if you reverse many instructions you do better.

I try to include instructions on parts of the web site to rectify the bizarre advice I see elsewhere.

Last edited:

Nyle

Reaction score
Packaging for most products is written by writers and graphic artists.
I don't think they value what we actually do.
I've found that if you reverse many instructions you do better.

I try to include instructions on parts of the web site to rectify the bizarre advice I see elsewhere.

Thanks again Terry,

Your website is great and I really appreciate the advice that is available here. As I am sure many others do. My new Toto is working great and so far so good. :cool:

-Nyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks