Ok, here is something that bugs me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pmaru77

Reaction score
When you install a drain in a sink or a tub, the fitting is usually smaller than the hole it is going to go through.
In my case right now, I have a fitting that has 1.875 OD thread and goes into a tub that has a 2.25 dia. hole.
That is a lot of clearance, especially when the upper seal is plumbers putty. In previous cases, notably doing a kitchen sink, the curvature of the sink and the plumbers putty and the clearance all add up to when you tighten down the drain, it likes to move around and not stay symmetric. So to hopefully solve this dilemma I acquired an o-ring that will fit around the threaded (male) drain, and also pretty much match the OD of the tub hole. This should keep the drain way more concentric than nothing. Is this a good idea or is there another way of handling this? What do you pro's do? I got a feeling you do not run to the hardware store and buy o-rings.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a pro... isn't there usually recess in the tub that the flange of the tub basket sits down into that keeps things centered?

Bathtub-Drain-Diagram-300x300.jpg

Pmaru77

Reaction score
Not a pro... isn't there usually recess in the tub that the flange of the tub basket sits down into that keeps things centered?

Bathtub-Drain-Diagram-300x300.jpg
Yes there is a dip or recess that this sits into, but on the contrary, in my case the hole is not centered very well with the recess. Also the recess is a bigger diameter than the flange that sits in there, so it can move around before it hits the curve of the recess. The flange dia. is 2.75 and the recess dia. is 3.25 approx. where it is flat. So my solution is to have an o-ring sit inside the tub hole making the slop more like 1/16" instead of 3/8". Plumbers putty is slippery when cranked on.

Pmaru77

Reaction score
We DO NOT concern ourselves about it the way you do.

I guess not. Just want to point out that the trap that ties into the tub is not perpendicular to the floor, and when I removed the tub drain from the trap, it came loose by just turning the ABS pipe. Either the abs cement gave way or they never glued it together. Also, aside from the toilet flange being rusted away, it also was not square to the floor. I don't know if this is from settling of the house (2nd floor) or just poor construction in 1973.
It's doubtful that any pro's worked on the new construction of this house. There may have been a licensed plumber that oversees the development but that is probably it.
Homeowners have the extra time to do things more accurate, so why not at least try.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have never had a problem sealing a tub drain.
The seal takes place between the tub and the shoe on the bottom side, with the rubber flat washer making the seal. It's important that the threaded drain can thread all the way in and clamp together tightly.

Wood can lose up to 1" per floor over time. Sometimes that means the plumbing appears too tall for the structure over time. It can stress the pipe and fittings.

Pmaru77

Reaction score
I have never had a problem sealing a tub drain.
The seal takes place between the tub and the shoe on the bottom side, with the rubber flat washer making the seal. It's important that the threaded drain can thread all the way in and clamp together tightly.

Wood can lose up to 1" per floor over time. Sometimes that means the plumbing appears too tall for the structure over time. It can stress the pipe and fittings.

You're not kidding, I should post a picture of the wall studs and the bow in the window frame. This drain I am working on actually had split in half a few years ago on the vertical run. Right in half. Luckily it was accessible downstairs in the ac/forced hot air closet. I was able to slip an abs coupling on and glue it. Dodged a bullet there, any higher would have required to pull the furnace. But Cali houses built here are sketchy at best, unless you have a house built and you hire the right people.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks