Oil to Gas Conversion. Please Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben123190

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping i could get some advise on an Oil to Gas conversion. Basically i bought this home a couple months ago. It was advertised as gas....well its oil. It was a short sale so the only thing i could do was fight the Realtors for a credit. They gave me a $2800 credit to use for a gas conversion. I need to use it by Dec 31 2014. This dollar amount was based off a couple of quotes to do the bare minimum to get my house to run on gas (conversion boiler). I have hot water baseboard. I live in MA by the way. The gas has already been run from the street to the side of my house. I plan to live here about 5 to 10 years. Plumbers are telling me my current oil boiler just needs some tuning up but it is old. I am being quoted about $8300 to convert to a combi boiler. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
Dunno about an oil-to-gas boiler conversion... But I'm switching to gas at my house as well (short sale too!, though I knew it was oil).

You plan on living there 5 years or so... you think you'll recoup the cost of a new boiler install?

Did the gas company install the line? Usually they make you connect within x amount of time if you signed a contract. No going back, at least for me.

My plan is to install a Lochinvar Knight boiler and a Crown indirect water tank. The boiler has no domestic coil like the old oil boiler. Just those two are about $4k. Add in circulators, relays, valves, expansion tank, air scoop, manifolds, etc... close to $7k in just materials.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Beckett and carlin both make power gas conversion burners as do several other companies but, oil is dropping in price and nat gas continues to rise. You might want to hold off for awhile. Gas won't save you anything at this point in time and may in fact cost you more.

Ben123190

Reaction score
Beckett and carlin both make power gas conversion burners as do several other companies but, oil is dropping in price and nat gas continues to rise. You might want to hold off for awhile. Gas won't save you anything at this point in time and may in fact cost you more.
That's the thing though, I have the credit for $2800 which will cover the conversion burner. But, i have to use it by the end of the year. Just trying to figure out if anyone has a conversion burner and how they like it. If they have seen any savings with current fuel prices.

KevinPrz

Reaction score
That's the thing though, I have the credit for $2800 which will cover the conversion burner. But, i have to use it by the end of the year. Just trying to figure out if anyone has a conversion burner and how they like it. If they have seen any savings with current fuel prices.

I had my weil mclain WTGO oil burner converted to nat gas with the Carlin EZ burner. The Carlin was discounted from the gas company, the entire bill was 1200 to convert.

I live in the northeast and it was a pretty cold winter last year - we saw about a 30% savings in our heating from 2012 vs 2013. It seemed worth it to me for $1200 - I already had gas in the house, and gas lines very close to the boiler so the plumber was done in ~3 hours.

We also had an above ground oil tank in a crappy location so I don't miss the tank or deliveries.

If the credit will pay for the conversion 100%, as a consumer with no professional experience at all I would go for it :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks