Oil tank valve leak

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by cirrus, May 22, 2007.

1. cirrus

cirrus New Member

Hi!

Great forum!

Our oil tank for the furnace has a shut off valve on it (bottom of tank) that has a slow drip to it from the valve stem which we catch in a small container. I'd like to fix it but I'm wondering how is this done? Seems that the oil left in the tank (there is 1/8 tank left) needs to be drained/siphoned out. Does anyone know how this would be done?

TIA!!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

leak

Tighten the nut around the valve stem to stop the leak.
  3. cirrus

cirrus New Member

Thanks for the reply....yea already tried that...still leaks. I probably need to remove the whole stem assembly and replace the washer or whatever those type of valves use to seal the unit. Or just replace the whole valve but in either case the oil needs to be drained I guess.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

Turn the valve off. Remove the packing nut. If there is a brass "follower" bushing under it, lift that also. Install additional packing, replace the follower, and then tighten the nut.
  5. cirrus

cirrus New Member

HJ,

I've never replaced the packing material just the washers....so I was thinking I had to remove the whole cartridge/stem. But thinking about it I can just take off that packing nut and still have the valve closed. I'll try that this weekend for sure! Thanks!
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Just try tightening it a little first. Only repack it if that doesn't work.
  7. joe in queens

joe in queens New Member

There is a way to change out an oil tank valve without draining the oil from the tank... even with a full tank. It's a two man job, requires some skill, and there's a risk of damaging the tank if not done right but it can be done.

But try what has been suggested here. It should take care of it.
  8. cirrus

cirrus New Member

And one guy has to have a real big thumb....LOL! Just kidding.

Thanks guys for the ideas...sounds alot more promising than what I feared!
  9. cirrus

cirrus New Member

Not to jinx myself...and the tank is almost empty...but I backed off the nut and then retightened it....so far so good..no more leaks!

Thanks everyone!