Oil Funance Chimney issue

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by theMezz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. theMezz

theMezz New Member

A chimney to a oil furnace collapsed, and I see the local heating contractor installed a power vent http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1260541270124/20400_PROD_FILE.pdf with am exhaust pipe that goes outside and just about the ground (not a real chimney)

Anyone hear of this before? It's a high snow area - won't it get covered with snow? They had to shovel away 4 foot of snow outside to install this.

Is that code compliance??

Thank You
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Very very coommon practice. Make sure to follow the installation instructions for distances to windows, the ground, doors and such.
  3. theMezz

theMezz New Member

here is a photo

[​IMG]
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The exhaust and intake usually are supposed to be above the snow level. It depends on the specifics of the installation manual. As noted, it is also very important about where it terminates verses things like door, windows, and other intakes and exhausts. This is all spelled out in some detail in the specific device's installation instructions.
  5. Dana

Dana In the trades

It also depends on local code. This wouldn't pass code anywhere in MA that close to the ground due to snowpack related issues, but it might be allowed in TX. I'd be suprised if an inspector would sign off on it that way in NY. Buried in snow next to the house the exhuast will find it's way under siding & sheathing, can present a very serious health hazard, even if the location met all other clearance requirements to operable windows & doors, air intakes, etc. .
  6. david_griffin

david_griffin New Member

When I look at the image I am thinking who was so stupid and installed it in this way and in such country region :-(
  7. theMezz

theMezz New Member

Amazingly enough it was installed by a heating company that is very popular and has been around for many years. WTF !