offsetting mainstack and correct use of 90 elbow with heel inlet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by johnk, Aug 15, 2008.

1. johnk

johnk New Member

Hi,
    I am going to combine a two bathrooms in ranch style home with a basement into 1 large bathroom. The wall seperating the two bathrooms that will be removed contains the vertical mainstack. Their are no drains running into the stack above the bathrooms floor level so I believe this is called a drystack. Can I offset the existing stack 3ft so I can place it ino a different wall and still use the existing roof penetration?

Also, I know you can't place a sanitary Tee on it's back, but can you place a 90 degree elbow with a heel inlet, with the heel inlet in the horizontal position? (i.e. a 3x3x2 abs fitting with a 3" side conected to a horizontal waste drain, the other 3" side is connected the vertical vent and the 2" heel inlet is horizontal)

I can post a drawing of the vent stack if my description isn't clear.

Thanks
  2. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

Post a description if possible. You can't use side inlets in Wisconsin, but we are not on a national code so I,m not sure if you can use that in your location. You can offset the stack, but send a pic and I or someone else can respond to you.
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

The IPC allows a side inlet to be used in the horizontal position but neither a high or low pattern heel outlet 90 can be used in any position except vertical with the 2" pointing up.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ell

A heel inlet elbow IS a tee.
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Why yes it is and a lot of confusion would be eliminated if the industry would have called them that in the first place.:D
  6. johnk

johnk New Member

additional information

Here are a few pictures and a hand sketched plumbing layout of the bathroom. To meet the size requirements for uploading files I had to reduce the resolution of the pictures, but hopefully they're still readable. I have started some of the plumbing, but want to make sure it is correct before I have it inspected. Based on input so far, it appears I will need to replace the elbow with the heel fitting with just an elbow and attach the tub drain somewhere else, which I showed in the layout. My big concern is that I can't offset the stack the way I did. If someone would review my layout I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

plumbing layout 1.jpg

bath plumbing 1.JPG

bath plumbing 2.JPG

bath plumbing 3.JPG
  7. johnk

johnk New Member

more information

I forgot to add that I'm located in Colorado and the local building authority uses the 2006 IRC
  8. johnk

johnk New Member

I posted more information earlier today
  9. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

If the 3" vertical on that heel outlet 90 is "dry" and recieves no waste than it can be used as it is positioned. You often hear that a sanitary Tee can't be installed horizontally and for the most part that's true. The exception is if the outlet is vertical and dry.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  10. johnk

johnk New Member

The 3" vertical on the heel outlet is dry so I guess I'm good with the way I installed it. Does everything else in my layout look OK? Thanks