Offset Tub Overflow, Plus Narrow Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my tub and I'm in a really tight alcove (60" x 30" stud to stud -- no wiggle room). The only tub I can find that will fit is a Sterling Performa (60" x 29" -- the nailing flange goes right to the edge of the alcove!).

First off, does anyone know of any other manufacturer of narrow tubs?

Second -- the existing drain is about 1.5" offset from the overflow on this tub. I can move the p-trap with some effort (cast iron under slab), but is it necessary? Is it OK to twist the shoe to line up with the drain, and to have an offset overflow line? I've even seen flexible overflows -- are these kosher? I want to do this right!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am surprised you can even find a 29" tub. Since FHA mandated a minimum 30" tub in the 50's that became the narrowest one it was feasible to produce. Prior to that 28" tubs were the standard for the average house.
The flexible overflows use a cable drain system and I have never been a fan of those. When they break, and they will, you may have to remove the tub to replace them. Angling the drain and offsetting the overflow will work for many drains, but not those with a "trip lever" operated stopper.

tub-drain-offset-with-45.jpg

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I am surprised you can even find a 29" tub. Since FHA mandated a minimum 30" tub in the 50's that became the narrowest one it was feasible to produce. Prior to that 28" tubs were the standard for the average house.
The flexible overflows use a cable drain system and I have never been a fan of those. When they break, and they will, you may have to remove the tub to replace them. Angling the drain and offsetting the overflow will work for many drains, but not those with a "trip lever" operated stopper.

I'm surprised I could find the tub as well. I guess unless I want to track down a vintage tub (no) or use a clawfoot tub (NO), I'm stuck with the Performa!

I was looking through another thread and Terry Love himself recommended the following flexible drain:

I'll try one of these. It doesn't have a cable, which I also am leery of. Only concern is, how to connect it to my cast iron trap, which has a female threaded opening. Here in L.A. almost everything is ABS for drain lines so I'll have to track down a 1 1/2" threaded male PVC nipple, or I'll have to use an ABS nipple and transition to the PVC using a banded coupling, which is not ideal since this drain is basically inaccessible once the tub goes in.

Thanks for the input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks