Offset Sink Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've been searching for a pic with no success....
Anyone care to post one.

I originally roughed a drain at 16" OC for a 32 sink base.
The Sink Base location is not changing but it will be a 36" Base.
As well, the drain on the new sink is offset all the way on the right end of the sink.

What the proper way on offseting the trap ?

Is it the same wastearm piece turned towards the other end of the sink - extension and the usual p trap/tailpiece ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can rotate the trap any direction as you want, and it sounds like that may be enough. From the exit of the trap arm, it must slope down to the wye in the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Every situation could require different drain fittings, so we cannot see your situation to tell you HOW to offset it. You offset the drain line going TO the trap, not the connection between the sink and the trap.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Countertop template has come and gone....
2 weeks and we should be doing some finishing plumbing

The outlet is all the way on the let of the cabinet. Well not all the way on the left. Plumbed the outlet OC at 15" for a 30" cabinet.
The cabinet is now 36W. Sink changed as well. Drain is on the right hand side of the 36" cabinet...

So I'm clear, tailpiece straight down, trap and then IF I need to offset from here.

Dumb Question but I thought the trap needs to be somewhat inline with the outlet to a degree.
Am I ending the trap just a smigen higher than the outlet and then offsetting from there...

Sink here.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Kitchen...77&hash=id=filters&startIndex=0&scrollTop=310

Notice the drain is all the way to the right.
So in a 36 base, the outlet is sitting around 19" to the left of the sink drain.

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Weekend bump.
New cabs are coming in this Monday....and they're super custom, super $$. While the cabinetmaker is here doing his thing, I'm having him making all the cuts. I'm too scared to touch it with any of my tools....

Chefwong

Reaction score
Went looking at fittings. I would just use a direct connect drain waster arm right off the sink, bring it over to where the outlet is, put a slip joint waste arm directly into the p trap/outlet

This seems like the most straightforward run to me.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We know you COULD do that, but we are trying to tell you the right way to do it. Do it your way and when you start getting foul odors in the sink, come back here and we will tell you AGAIN how to do it right. But as an aside, FEW plumbers would install a sink drain in the center of the sink. We usually align it with the left or right bowls to make the connection of the sink drains easier.

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
So this is where I am off.
I thought it was the *wrong* way to do it. But I don't know the reasoning why.
If the trap is still below the vent line, by routing it the way I am thinking *arm is flush under the bottom of the sink*, then it goes down (which is a staight pipe down into the trap) , what is the reasoning on where it's wrong.

I see plenty of 1 1/4 wheelchair offset drain traps that look aimilar like what I'm proposing.
The difference being that those sold as this are a formed ~L~ and that the L is usually positioned towards the wall

This is not a double bowl sink.
It's a single sink with the drain offset all the way to the right.

I've never had to offset a sink so this is all vauge to me - just short of being able to picture it.
Tailpiece straight down, trap a smigen higher than the outlet.
From the P trap.....to the outlet, offset a 45 or 22....and some straight to get the wall and trap to line up ?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can use a 22 1/2, a 45, a street 45 into a 22 1/2, a 60, or any combination make the necessary offset. Handicap drains do not have "kitchen wastes" running through them to create odors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks