Offset Flange Replacement Nightmare

Users who are viewing this thread

Eduardo

Reaction score
So I purchased two toilets standard 12" Rough in with out measuring finished wall to center of sewage pipe. (Dumb mistake/Inexperienced) When I removed the old toilet I encountered 3 very unpleasant surprises:

1. The distance from the finished wall to the center of the riser sewage pipe was 9" !! seems like a poor construction or design job...
  2. There was no wax ring installed or it was so old that it had completely dissolved through the years. This lack of seal basically caused all the sewage waste to constantly spill out. The only thing keeping it out of the surrounding floor was a thick glob of silicone layered around the footprint of the toilet... NOT FUN!
  3. the flange that was installed was an old rotted out offset flange that was very restrictive... The flange was also sitting about 1" above the finished floor and was not even bolted down to the concrete floor.. I have learned on this site that flanges should be bolted flush with the finished floor.. So, i decided to remove and replace it by using the edge drilling and chipping technique (Tedious) Once I removed it I decided to dry fit the replacement Sioux Chief 889 POM offset flange and realized that mine too was sitting 1" above the finished floor!!
My question is ultimately should I reduce the sewage riser pipe further, it was already reduced approximately 4" below the finished floor by the previous installer or should I try and find 9"-10" rough in and use the traditional flange that would sit flat on the floor?? I appreciate any help I can get ... The wife is very upset.. needless to say...

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually you get better information if you provide a photo of what you are looking at.

I think you are saying that you will have a 9.5 inch offset if you install a regular flange, and an 11 inch offset if you install the Sioux Chief 889 POM.

Is that under-slab pipe you are attaching to PVC or something else?

Eduardo

Reaction score
Usually you get better information if you provide a photo of what you are looking at.

I think you are saying that you will have a 9.5 inch offset if you install a regular flange, and an 11 inch offset if you install the Sioux Chief 889 POM.

Is that under-slab pipe you are attaching to PVC or something else?

Yes, if i install the offset I will be able to squeeze in the 12" rough in toilets I have already purchased but will probably need to reduce the pipe further so that the flange can sit flush with the floor.. Or I install a regular flange and have 9.5" and purchase a new toilet.. (Which I really didn't want to do)

I dont have a photo of the flange to floor gap I am referring to (I will get when I get home) but here is an img of the riser pipe that was cut 4" below finished floor by the previous installer.

Attachments

• IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 598

Reach4

Reaction score
Take a look at Sioux Chief 889-GPOM if that is 4 inch PVC.

889-gpom-1.jpg

Eduardo

Reaction score
Take a look at Sioux Chief 889-GPOM if that is 4 inch PVC.

889-gpom-1.jpg
YES its a 4" ... That is awesome... hopefully not too tall... Does home depot carry these??? seems like exactly what I need.. Also do you have any experience using push fittings? does it create a safe and positive seal? Thanks again for your help Reach4!

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Seriously? You will see that you can get it delivered to the store.
2. No. Others, do, and it works.
3. Should work dry, but I would lube the flaps with some silicone grease myself.

When you get it, I suggest that you post the A and B dimensions for the picture below. That will be useful to others later.
img_2.png

Eduardo

Reaction score
I have placed my order... I will provide Dims once I receive it and an update on the install... Thanks again for all the help...

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
In your picture, you show the top of the drain about 4 inches below the floor. You may to need to cut that back some more, for the offset flange to fit flush with the finished floor. If the "A" dimension is greater than 4 inches.

889-gpom-1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks