Offset Flange Questions

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by cmhealy, Jun 9, 2007.

1. cmhealy

cmhealy New Member

So I am halfway through my bathroom remodel and I fannaly got to the toilet flange. I was planning on using an offset flange to move my toilet over a couple inches to accommodate a 24" vanity. This is a small bathroom! So I started to dig out around the flange to see what I had and the offset flange that I have won't work because of the depth. I have cast iron plumbing, and the toilet sits on top of a curved "Y". I dug out a good bit of the floor with the thought that maybe I could cut out some of the cast iron and use mission unions to tie in PVC parts to move the drain over altogether? I guess I am stuck as I am feeling a bit over my head at this point! Any help would be appreciated! Here are some pics:
    I am trying to move the drain 2-3 inches over to the left
    http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/fireiko/CIMG0785.jpg

I am trying to move the drain 2-3 inches over to the left when you are looking at the pics. If I moved the whole drain, then I would likely move it back 2 inches as well because it is 14" off the wall now, because the was mud tile job before and I removed all of that.
    http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/fireiko/CIMG0784.jpg

Any help is appreciated!!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flange

You are out of luck. That is not a proper drain connection in the first place, and there is no way to offset it in any direction, without making a serious piping revision. And even then it would be almost impossible to just move it a couple of inches.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Most codes require 15" minimum to obstructions from the midline of a toilet. So, you might have to reconsider your choices of vanity. There are 14" roughin toilets, so that isn't a major problem. that doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to stick out any further than one designed for a 12" roughin, but can. In fact, you can use a 12" roughin, but then it would stick out more and have a gap behind. Sometimes, you just have to live with what you have. Course, if you want to spend enough and tear enough up, nearly anything can be done, but it may not be worth it.
  4. cmhealy

cmhealy New Member

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'll be putting a new flange on and backfilling my mess!