Off center water supply line for bathroom faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Cycotron69

Reaction score
Hi, because the placement of my bathroom sink, if I center my water supply line and waste drain directly underneath it, then one of the water supply line will be too close to the center separation of the vanity cabinet. I plan to use a bottle trap for the waste drain, so I prefer the drain pipe to be centered under the sink. I would rather not make any cuts in to the cabinet either. In that case, can I shift both the hot and cold water supply in to one side of the drain pipe? Or place them vertically on one side of the drain pipe? Any code req? Other ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

Reaction score
Please post a pic of the current setup, and provide a diagram of what you want the end result to me.

If you were a local client, I'd reply that you have to pay me to come there to give you an estimate or assessment as I can't see what you see over the phone or a text message.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't think you have any code concerns, but why do you want to use a bottle trap? A P-trap is the normal drain connection. Your supply lines can be flexible.

Cycotron69

Reaction score
Please post a pic of the current setup, and provide a diagram of what you want the end result to me.

If you were a local client, I'd reply that you have to pay me to come there to give you an estimate or assessment as I can't see what you see over the phone or a text message.

Many thanks, and I'd send you a six-pack if I could.

I am at the planning stage, so I just want to find what options are there.
Here are 2 cross section pics to explain. This will be a complete tear down so I can do just about anything I want, the red 'dot' is the supply in pipe in question.

The placement in this pic is the recommended rough-in from the sink manufacture. They are using the regular P trap setup. Note the red dots are very close to the cabinet divider panel.
std_vanity.gif

These are the 2 alternative options I'm contemplating with. Just want to find out if there's any concerns with such a configuration. By the way, how far up can I move the drain line?
new_vanity.gif

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
So you are building your own vanity. Great. You can put your supply anywhere you want. I think the shortest flexible faucet supply is 12".
Don't raise your drain. Don't know any thing about bottle traps but assume they require the standard 18" off the floor. A" P" trap gives you some flexibility horizontally because you can always turn it side ways to line up with the drain. Meaning you can off set the drain slightly away from the interior dividers.
If any thing lower the drain. You can't make the waste water flow up hill if the drain is to high. You can always use a tail pipe extension on the sink if the drain is lower than needed.

PS
If you make your kick plate 4" high you can put drawers down there. Drawers are not very deep but make a nice storage place for things you seldom use.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With most bottle traps, you MUST center the sink on the drain line, since they do not swivel. They also make chrome brass "P" traps, and white PVC ones, if the color is your only concern. If this is a cabinet installation, you can do MANY things to make the water lines fit, such as use a 45 to offset the valve away from the divider. The sink height and trap dimensions will determine how high you can place the drain line, NOT anything we say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks