Odour from bathroom tap, not the drain!

Users who are viewing this thread

jabartle

Reaction score
An odour only 'seems' to appear when we turn our bathroom sink tap is turned on. This rotten egg odour lasts for about a minute and then clears. This odour is not found in any other fixture in the entire house, including the bathtub next to the sink. No odour is present in the drain or otherwise.
We had our entire bathroom gutted and renovated, with new copper piping in the bathroom area only. There is some galvanized steel pipes as well. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm stumped as to why it's in the water line and not the drain (or so it appears). Thanks.

Prashster

Reaction score
Search this forum for 'overflow tube'.

This happened to me. The overflow tube can breed 'stuff' if it doesn't drain properly.

My cause: My sink drain was installed with too much caulk; clogged the side holes that accept the overflow water.
My solution: Remove popup. Use a coat hanger to unseal the side holes in the drain. Flush overflow with bleach.
My result: It worked.

I'd also try to scour the inside of the overflow as deeply as possible with long, twisted pairs of pipecleaners.

If your water only 'smells bad' from one sink, it's unlikely it's a water supply issue.

Coach606

Reaction score
me too...

It's interesting because I seem to have developed the same problem in one sink. In mine, I've noticed some rust coloring around the pop up drain, too. So I suspect it is the culprit. I think it all started after we had a clog that backed up the sink.

I'll try your suggestions and report back.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I had a problem like this before too. I had installed that pop up drain so the pin goes through the hole and its locked into place. All kinds of gunk got "all up in 'aire" and was some foul stuff. Undid the popup, scrubbed the sink and the popup w/ some bleach and reinstalled it w/o the pin in the hole. Good as new :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks