Odors coming from drains after plumbing remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Thanks, Mark, for providing this additional information. Could you please refer me to the plumbing codes pertaining to a two-trap setup in a double sink causing siphoning, the necessity of having a trap above the floor for a washer, and too long of distance from a fixture to a trap causing siphoning? It would help me in getting these necessary changes made by the plumber. If I could show him an IPC or UPC code, he would not be able to argue about making the changes. At this point I am not able to hire another plumber to fix this plumber's errors. I know that is a lot to ask but I would greatly appreciate your assistance with the codes. If you do not have the time to provide me with the specific codes, could you give me the links to where I could read through the codes to perhaps locate them myself? Thank you.

I dont understand about the washing machine trap...did not look that closely...
does it have a vent on it or is it just dumping into the main line without any vent at all???
that should have a vent because of the volume of water that goes down the drain...

I assume that no permit was taken out for this plumbing work or it was never inspected.....
if a permit was done then its just a matter of calling in the inspector...

as far as under the kitchen sink its really no problem to change that out very easily for
probably 10 dollars or less with the continious waste baffle tee type drain.... I will look for a picture of one...

here is a link to lowes and a picture of one...its cheap and very easy to rid yourself of the
problem with only one trap for both sides....

If I were that guy , it would seem wiser to just make you happy instead of turning
this into a pissing contest..... especially if you have held back some money

http://www.lowes.com/pd_172278-143-125A-16WK_0__?k_clickID=946da6ca-0ee3-4802-8421-2525add0a842&store_code=442&productId=3123457&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@47b247b2]&storeNumber=0442&kpid=3123457&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-RoughPlumbingElectrical-_-TubularDrainage-_-3123457:Keeney_Mfg._Co.&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=1368075363

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
I dont understand about the washing machine trap...did not look that closely...
does it have a vent on it or is it just dumping into the main line without any vent at all???
that should have a vent because of the volume of water that goes down the drain...

I assume that no permit was taken out for this plumbing work or it was never inspected.....
if a permit was done then its just a matter of calling in the inspector...

as far as under the kitchen sink its really no problem to change that out very easily for
probably 10 dollars or less with the continious waste baffle tee type drain.... I will look for a picture of one...

here is a link to lowes and a picture of one...its cheap and very easy to rid yourself of the
problem with only one trap for both sides....

If I were that guy , it would seem wiser to just make you happy instead of turning
this into a pissing contest..... especially if you have held back some money

http://www.lowes.com/pd_172278-143-125A-16WK_0__?k_clickID=946da6ca-0ee3-4802-8421-2525add0a842&store_code=442&productId=3123457&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@47b247b2]&storeNumber=0442&kpid=3123457&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-RoughPlumbingElectrical-_-TubularDrainage-_-3123457:Keeney_Mfg._Co.&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=1368075363

Thanks for the link to Lowes.

The vent for the washer is under the house. Terry said it should be above the floor. Is there public access to the plumbing codes online? There are also the same issues with the master bathroom, so being able to reference codes when I talk with him would be most helpful.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
If the guy ran a standpipe up to the location for your laundry and installed a trap in the crawl space and
then actually ran a real legit vent out the roof from the crawl space off that laundry line, then
that would probably function ok... even though its
sort of a half assed way to do this...it should work just fine and dandy....

The kitchen sink appears to have a vent in the wall so all you need is that continious waste sink drain ...and that is only 7 bucks from lowes....that is a non issue to me... just change it.

getting the guy to come back and open up walls is probably an impossible thing to happen... all you need is some auto airvents placed under those sinks and it should work fine...

If things are gonna get ugly and push is gonna come to shove,
then its probably best to just call in the local plumbing inspector
unless you have done this under the radar and dont want to get them involved.

then you have more of a stickey problem and you will have to just not pay the guy
unless that has already too late....

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
If the guy ran a standpipe up to the location for your laundry and installed a trap in the crawl space and
then actually ran a real legit vent out the roof from the crawl space off that laundry line, then
that would probably function ok... even though its
sort of a half assed way to do this...it should work just fine and dandy....

The kitchen sink appears to have a vent in the wall so all you need is that continious waste sink drain ...and that is only 7 bucks from lowes....that is a non issue to me... just change it.

getting the guy to come back and open up walls is probably an impossible thing to happen... all you need is some auto airvents placed under those sinks and it should work fine...

If things are gonna get ugly and push is gonna come to shove,
then its probably best to just call in the local plumbing inspector
unless you have done this under the radar and dont want to get them involved.

then you have more of a stickey problem and you will have to just not pay the guy
unless that has already too late....

Thanks for the additional information. The washer trap originally was in the crawlspace with a 2 inch vent connected on the upstream side. The plumber said he moved the vent to the downhill side, but he left the trap in the crawlspace. This set up is emitting odor. Terry says it is because the trap needs to be above the floor. I have not been able to find code reference regarding the washer.

The dual trap kitchen sink is so loud when I run water that people can't hear above the noise to talk in the kitchen. I am not sure why he put in a dual trap in the kitchen.

How do I contact a local plumbing inspector? Will a plumbing inspector inspect a rework of this type?

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the additional information. The washer trap originally was in the crawlspace with a 2 inch vent connected on the upstream side. The plumber said he moved the vent to the downhill side, but he left the trap in the crawlspace. This set up is emitting odor. Terry says it is because the trap needs to be above the floor. I have not been able to find code reference regarding the washer.

The dual trap kitchen sink is so loud when I run water that people can't hear above the noise to talk in the kitchen. I am not sure why he put in a dual trap in the kitchen.

How do I contact a local plumbing inspector? Will a plumbing inspector inspect a rework of this type?

It appears that You are out in the middle of no-where in Tenessee..
Out houses were the norm there just 40 years ago in your region,
so I dont think you have many plumbing inspectors in your area...
it depends on the nearest size town near-by.... so call the city.

I dont know what Terry is talking about with the laundry trap having to
be above the floor level... never heard of that before...
a trap is a trap is a trap ......and if
there is a vent in the line somewhere near-by wether it be up stream or down stream
within a foot or two of the laundry it should work just fine..... but down stream would be better
If you are getting odors from that standpipe it usually means the vent is doing double or tripple
duty and must be the only vent for the whole plumbing system??

I dont know from what
code book terry is pulling this "the trap should be above the floor info from"
unless it has to do with having easy access to the trap for future cleaning out.......

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
UPC code
804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

Last edited:

TNHomeowner

Reaction score
UPC code
804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

]

Thank you so much, Terry, for posting the code and the picture. It was very helpful. If you wouldn't mind answering the two following code-related questions:

1. Does IPC 908.1 mean that a toilet, sink and bathtub cannot be vented by one common vent?

IPC 908.1 Individual vent as common vent

An individual vent is permitted to vent two traps or trapped fixtures as a common vent. The traps or trapped fixtures being common vented shall be located on the same floor level.

2. Does
UPC 1001.1 apply to the plumbing set up under my kitchen sink (picture posted in your earlier reply)?

UPC 1001.1 Each plumbing fixture, excepting those having integral traps or as permitted in Section 1001.2, shall be separately trapped by an approved type waterseal trap. Not more than one (1) trap shall be permitted on a trap arm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
It appears that You are out in the middle of no-where in Tenessee..
Out houses were the norm there just 40 years ago in your region,
so I dont think you have many plumbing inspectors in your area...
it depends on the nearest size town near-by.... so call the city.

Now, now Mark. Caryville is right off the interstate. :)

Building permits are issued by Campbell County for $11.50, but the last time I checked there are no inspections other than electrical and septic. The only reason they have those inspections is because the State does the electrical and County Health Department does the septic under separate permits. Unless it's a new service nobody bothers though. I was actually surprised to learn that the County is issuing building permits as it wasn't that long ago that they didn't. Guess they needed a quicker way to get the high dollar homes the retirees from up north are building on the lake onto the tax roles.

My condolences to the original poster. The quality of work in Campbell County is such that some homeowners have resorted to paying windshield time and mileage to get people from Knoxville to come up to work.

-Sam

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Now, now Mark. Caryville is right off the interstate. :)

Building permits are issued by Campbell County for $11.50, but the last time I checked there are no inspections other than electrical and septic. The only reason they have those inspections is because the State does the electrical and County Health Department does the septic under separate permits. Unless it's a new service nobody bothers though. I was actually surprised to learn that the County is issuing building permits as it wasn't that long ago that they didn't. Guess they needed a quicker way to get the high dollar homes the retirees from up north are building on the lake onto the tax roles.

My condolences to the original poster. The quality of work in Campbell County is such that some homeowners have resorted to paying windshield time and mileage to get people from Knoxville to come up to work.

-Sam

If you are right off the interstate, I bet you even got your own Wallmart too..

YEE HAW>>>>..
..:):):p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks