Oddest shower ever made

Users who are viewing this thread

skydog262

Reaction score
I just bought a house in June, and everything is great except this upstairs shower. The bathroom is built into a dormer, and the shower is off that, built into the pitch of the roof. So, it is very short and angled. The first thing I did when I re-roofed the house was put a skylight in the shower area. The shower is built up for some reason about seven inches off the floor; when I look under it from the access panel I only see a bunch of shims. I imagine that the handyman who built this shower built it up so he could get his hand under to deal with the drain. My questions are thus: what is the best method to redo this shower? Tile? Can anyone guess why this floor would be built up other than the reason I supposed above? It should be no problem to lower this, right? The drain of the shower pan in the exisiting basin is odd, too; it is located in a corner. I suppose I am just wondering how a big a job this would be to lower the shower pan/basin, and the best way to finish out the stall. Lastly, the entrance to the shower is on an angle as it is built into the pitch of the roof, what would be a good way to fabricate a curtain or some way to keep the water in. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Usually the floor is raised because the installer did not know how to get the drain into the floor so he ran it above the floor and raised the shower stall. That could also be the reason for the drain location. Absolutely no way to tell anything about revising it until you see what the floor looks like.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you decide to tile, check out www.johnbridge.com . Also look at Kerdi at www.schluter.com.

Depending on which way the joists run, it could be tough to get the drain run without going below the joists, into the room below, so that may be the reason they did what they did.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Consider yourself lucky
I had an apt where the John was on a very high pedestal
And nothing closed it off from the rest of the Apt
It was easier to sit or kneel to pee

I'd also say they ran the drain on top of a joist rather then cut the joist

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks