Odd vibration from well pipe with power off

Users who are viewing this thread

Anthony V Jr

Reaction score
Hello all. Is there any reason why the pipe going into the house from a submersible well pump would be vibrating slightly when the power is off? Vibrating enough that you can hear the humming of the vibration in the tank?

I shut off the well pump breaker to diagnose something (and even disconnected the wires in the control switch to make doubly sure), checking it with a voltmeter before and after. It feels like a vibration that would be coming from a running well pump transferred over distance, but there is no way I can see that there should be power to it. As far as I can tell, there are no other power supplies. Any way it coulld be,Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony V Jr

Reaction score
Does the pressure decrease while the pump is off and no one using water? You could have a leak or a bad check valve spewing water that could make noise.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to have an answer to your question tonight because I had to replace the pressure gauge (and did the check valve near the tank since it was inexpensive), but I decided to check the integrity of the hoses/elbows that go from the well line to the valve and moving them apparently broke a seal that had formed over the years so when I turned back on the pump, water started spurting out of two of the connections and the clamps would not seal it no matter how tight I got them. Now I have to replace those before doing anything else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks