Odd Size Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
I have a neighbor that has a toilet set on the basement slab. The house was built in 1952. The flange is somewhat deterioated and the openings for the closet bolt(s) are corroded leaving me to think they will not give a good hold.

The slab has also been tiled and the installer did not raise the flange at that time.

I want to use a replacement expansion flange (PVC) but the pipe size is 3 3/4" instead of 4".

Can anyone offer a solution?

Attachments

• Twist-N-Set Closet Flange.jpg
    Twist-N-Set Closet Flange.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 360

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Flange

The pipe is odd sized because its only purpose was to have a toilet connected to it, so it did not have to conform to the normal parameters. Unless you can grind the rubber seal down, you won't be able to use that flange. And if you do get it in, be sure to push it to the floor before starting to tighten it, because it is not going to turn into the gasket as far as it would normally. A second factor might be that the opening is not smooth enough or round enough to seal to that flange. I would cut the concrete around the pipe and lead/oakum a new cast iron flange over the pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The last thing you want is a flange that does not seal properly. I'd advise you to heed HJ's comment and hire a plumber to chip out enough concrete to access the joint and lead/oakum a flange on the pipe.

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
The last thing you want is a flange that does not seal properly. I'd advise you to heed HJ's comment and hire a plumber to chip out enough concrete to access the joint and lead/oakum a flange on the pipe.

Yeah, I think you guys are right.

Thanx!

Gary

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks