Oatey Shower Drain Install

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by wulfers, Dec 25, 2004.

1. wulfers

wulfers New Member

I am trying to install an Oatey Shower Drain. The drain comes with two washers a fiber washer and a rubber washer. The question I have is how to install this drain in a fiberglass shower stall base. Which order do they go in and should I use plumbers putty at any time during the install? Does the rubber gasket go between the drain base and the shower base and the fiber gasket on top of the shower base and under the screw in drain top? Help...
  2. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Silicone

Put silicone under the strainer flange and insert strainer into inside hole in the shower base.
    From bottom install the rubber washer against the shower base, the cardboard friction washer next and then the nut. These nuts tend to come loose and are usually not accessible after installation. It's better to use a brass strainer. If not use pipe sealant on the threads and get it tight.