Oatey Plumbing Flange Question

Users who are viewing this thread

prosedsp

Reaction score
I have a noob question for everyone. Does the sewer line need to be flush with the floor to install the Oatey flange I purchased (pic below of it installed)? Will this work or do I need to bring the line flush with the new tile floor?

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 226

prosedsp

Reaction score
Thanks Smooky. It is sitting on top of the tile in the picture (hard to tell in the picture, sorry) I am wondering if the sewer drain needs to be flush with the tile for this flange to work. In the picture you can see the sewer drain is roughly a 1/2" below the tile. I am not sure if this will create an area for sewage to collect or if this will work fine as is.

Thanks for the help!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It should be fine. The toilet has "funnel" that will go into the flange and that little lip should not cause any problems.

prosedsp

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Smooky. For what it is worth it is 1.25 inches from the lip of the sewer line to the top of the flange. The toilet is on the 2nd floor. I realize that this isn't the ideal option, but I thought this other Oatey 43539 flange might be more appropriate. What do you think?

Oatey 43539 PVC Cast Iron Flange Replacement, 4-Inch

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would go with the one that you showed in the first post, even though there is a little gasket higher than the top of the CI pipe.

Why does the ring not go all of the way down to the floor?

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is nice to have a flat smooth surface for the wax ring and especially nice if you use a non-wax ring. The flange you have is fine the way it fits on the pipe. If you are not going to screw it to the floor I definitely prefer the metal flange. But I would put screws in it either way. You want it to be solid and not wobble around. The wax should squish into those groves and bolt notches to make a good seal on that brass colored ring.

Here are some other examples of Toilet/Closet Flanges:
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html

prosedsp

Reaction score
I would go with the one that you showed in the first post, even though there is a little gasket higher than the top of the CI pipe.

Why does the ring not go all of the way down to the floor?

Thanks Reach4. The original floor was laminate tile on top of wood. I added tile backer board and then the hex tile which raised the floor significantly leaving a gap between the top of the CI sewer line and the top of the floor. The Oatey ring is sitting directly on the tile floor. Thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
The Oatey ring is sitting directly on the tile floor.
If you look at the 2:30 o'clock part of the outer rim, you will see a shadow cast. If that is as far down as the piece goes, you would want to chip out what keeps the flange from going flat to the floor. Click Inbox above.

prosedsp

Reaction score
It is nice to have a flat smooth surface for the wax ring and especially nice if you use a non-wax ring. The flange you have is fine the way it fits on the pipe. If you are not going to screw it to the floor I definitely prefer the metal flange. But I would put screws in it either way. You want it to be solid and not wobble around. The wax should squish into those groves and bolt notches to make a good seal on that brass colored ring.

Here are some other examples of Toilet/Closet Flanges:
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html
Thanks Smooky, I will definitely screw it down to the floor. I was planning on using a wax ring, but was wondering if one of the non-wax might be a better option in this circumstance, like the one below:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Better-Than-Wax-Universal-Toilet-Seal-7530P24/205762183

prosedsp

Reaction score
If you look at the 2:30 o'clock part of the outer rim, you will see a shadow cast. If that is as far down as the piece goes, you would want to chip out what keeps the flange from going flat to the floor. Click Inbox above.
Wow, you have got some great eyes! You were right, I checked and one of the tiles was causing it to rock ever-so-slightly. Trimmed it off and it sits perfectly flush. You guys have been great!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks