Oatey Pipe joint compound on PVC sink trap and drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dope

I see your 20 years and raise you by 40. And in those 60 years, I have NEVER used "goop" on slip joint connections, (in fact in the old days, dope would rot the rubber gaskets and CAUSE leaks). I also do not use dope and teflon tape. In fact I ONLY use teflon tape on male plastic threads, never metal ones. I have not had the problems you cite with B-W heater threads, do not use putty under the gasket on lavatories, and DO NOT get callbacks regardless of how far away the job is. You and I might have some discussions about gooping the joints if I worked for you, but then everywhere I have worked, even as an apprentice, I have been the superintendent telling the journeymen how to do it.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
Just a building maintenance guy here. I'm taking that hardened stuff off the p-traps under sinks all the time. The contractor that did the plumbing renovation in one of our apartments used some type of pipe dope on all the chrome traps. They are leaking now after about 6 yrs. I disassemble clean that junk off put a new rubber gasket in and reassemble. No leak. If you need to use pipe dope in these type of fittings (the ones I'm seeing) your doing it wrong IMHO

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks